Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is seeking a Claims Third Party Administrator (TPA) Manager to manage our workers’ compensation TPA claims program(s). This position will report to Pie’s Director of Claims, and work closely with Pie’s TPA as well as our internal legal and compliance, underwriting, and customer success teams to understand, review, and guide decisions regarding coverage, compensability, and loss control. You will partner with our TPA leadership and claims teams to ensure the injured workers are receiving prompt and appropriate medical care, returning to work as effectively as possible, and providing the very best claims experience.
This role can work in our Denver or DC office once our office re-opens, or can continue to work in a remote location.
How You'll Do It
- Managing expectations within and outside Pie around the overall Workers Compensation (WC) claims program and/or other small business insurance claims by conducting recurring claims reviews, developing investigation and closure strategies, and ensuring reserve and escrow allocations are adequate.
- Managing safety and/or loss controls programs for Pie’s customers leveraging your analysis of claims frequency, severity, costs and risk mitigation approaches.
- Performing monthly analysis to identify key drivers of new claims and develop mitigating strategies.
- Partnering with our internal teams (Engineering, UX, Finance, Legal, Customer Care, Product, Underwriting) and TPA in order to facilitate diversity in thought and drive to deliver results.
- Completing all monthly, quarterly, and annual State Reporting requirements on time and ensuring compliance.
- Create a humanized claims process and manage the relationship with our TPA.
- Managing, tracking and responding when necessary to subpoena/legal requests related to WC claims.
- Preparing analysis and business case justification for settlements requiring executive approval.
- This is an experienced hire role. As a leader at Pie, you will be as comfortable and content managing projects and programs as you are managing people.
- Team building and leadership are important in this role. You will manage our claims advocacy group who are focused on providing a top notch claims experience through their daily interactions with all of the important stakeholders in a claim’s overall success
The Right Stuff
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- 8+ years of workers’ compensation experience with a minimum of 3 years of experience managing a TPA or WC claims directly.
- 3+ years of people management preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience managing California claims strongly preferred.
- Advanced attention to detail, experience and analytical competencies. Details matter, and especially in claims, so you pay attention to it all to ensure it gets done right.
- Strong understanding of complexity of WC claims and why our relationship with a TPA is vital to our success.
- Demonstrated Collaboration: Strong ability to articulate issues, questions, and requirements. Must be able to communicate openly, freely, and frequently with colleagues, customers, vendors, and insurance partners. Must confidently and actively participate, listen, and share.
- Strong multitasking and organization of work skills, must be able to set priorities by using data, your knowledge and experience to figure things out.
- Keen focus on customer experience, we are looking to provide a first class claims experience. Ability to share perspective to come up with the best possible solutions, whether it's through TPA partnership or on our own.
- Advanced knowledge of workers’ comp, with ability to quickly and readily identify new opportunities for Pie.
- The ability to innovate is a must. Expect to constantly challenge the insurance industry status quo.
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $92,500 - $118,500
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding