Chief Analyst - MOSAIC - Tactical Solutions at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Tactical Solutions Strategic Business Unit delivers mission system solutions, from specialized antennas to electro-optical technologies, to the warfighter. Our systems enhance the performance of various military platforms, from aircraft and land vehicles to ships and satellites, and give warfighters the advantage they need to take action, identify targets and defend against evolving threats.
Chief Analyst – MOSAIC – Tactical Solutions
MOSAIC-TS is the mission analysis department within Ball's Tactical Solutions (TS) Strategic Business Unit (SBU). The group performs broad defense systems analysis to develop future architectures, estimate systems of systems performance, model threats and threat interactions, predict and analyze large scale flight test activities, and communicates with senior leadership at high levels. MOSAIC-TS supports the TS missions of air vehicle survivability, electronic warfare, radio frequency (RF) and electro-optic / infrared (EO/IR) sensing, tracking and targeting, and resilient network communications. This position, Chief Mission Analyst, reports to the MOSAIC-TS manager, serves as the lead technical member of the group and is primarily responsible for the technical quality of the output.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and execute broad analysis strategic plan for the current and potential future missions served by TS.
- Serve as the capture lead for multi-mission area architecture studies.
- Serve as main technical and analytical focal point for the team of analysts.
- Review and approve analysis plans, results, and communications.
- Identify and mentor subject matter experts in various tactical mission areas.
- Serve as chief engineer for a strategic cross-mission area technical analysis program run in tight coordination with the government. This program's charter is to perform broad big-picture analysis merging technologies across all disciplines and mission areas, with the goal of uncovering and further next-generation research & development opportunities.
- Responsible for managing and prioritizing research & development discretionary budget to evaluate and assess new system architectures.
- Establish and execute process to verify MOSAIC tools are producing useful results:
- Tools used appropriately
- Input assumptions are reasonable and clear
- Outputs make sense
- Identify unknowns and risks to results
- Use the above models to define integrated hardware and modeling experiments / tests to reduce risk and reveal unknowns in the model.
- Flow results from tests back into the model to result in a partially verified operational model.
- Thoroughly document software, predictions, test plans and test results (where applicable).
- Support new business proposals with mission and operational analysis inputs demonstrating proposed offering's mission impact.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Demonstrated experience in the scoping and creation of broad defense systems analysis methodology and execution.
- Empirical experience in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related technical field; Graduate degree is preferred.
- Experience modeling multiple mission types, phenomenologies, and technologies relevant to tactical and architectures.
- Experience with coding and generating graphical outputs in MATLAB; Additional programming experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience successfully creating and presenting highly technical material to executive audiences with a variety of technical backgrounds.
- Broad technical backgrounds including academic research experience preferred.
- Ability to independently research new topics of interest.
- Ability to document analysis results, write reports and present findings.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $149,000 - $205,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.