Airframe Director at Boom Supersonic
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:33 a.m. (MST) on Wednesday, May 5, 2021
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based company redefining commercial flight by bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. This historic airliner is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. The company is backed by world-class investors and has 30 aircraft on pre-order. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 150 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking an Airframe Director to join our team. You will be responsible and oversee the design, test, certification and support of the aircraft airframe and its structural systems within the Overture program. In addition, this position is also responsible for materials & processes (M&P) and the engineering for the Material Review Board (MRB). Additionally you will be integral in building a world class team of engineers.
- Manage engineering, and testing, scope of structural design, stress analysis, mass properties, and material process work
- Manage the engineering effort to effectively support the MRB to keep the supply chain and manufacturing moving forward
- Manage the introduction of the next levels of integration of all aircraft systems without compromising the integrity of the individual system or function
- Improper design application could result in questionable safety margins rendering systems/aircraft unable to receive certification
- Work hand-in-hand with Chief Engineer, Program Leadership, and other leaders to build a strong relationship in order to obtain quality employees and consistent design work
- Lead the trade studies of aircraft structure to find the right solution for Overture
- Coordinate with suppliers and ensure design standards are being met for the aircraft
- Assist in the testing of the overall aircraft (static and fatigue) to ensure proper function
- Maintain control over both cost and schedule
- A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related experience required
- 15+ years experience, including in a leadership role on at least one aircraft program from initial concept through flight and certification
- Fundamental understanding of every key technical discipline (configuration, aero, systems, propulsion, structures, software/avionics, flight test, manufacturing)
- Part 23 or 25 certification experience (part 25 preferred)
- Familiarity with: Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems per ARP 4754, Aircraft Safety Assessment Process per ARP 4761 and Environmental qualification per DO-160
- Experienced in developing budget & staffing plans; communicating team’s progress to plan via metrics
- Proven problem-solving leadership skills; can lead a team through solving hard, complex, ambiguous technical problems
- Excellent leadership skills—able to keep teams moving and motivated to meet business needs; identify opportunities and providing solution(s) to minimize program impacts
- Persuasive—must be able to win support of internal and external parties alike
- Team building communication skills, the ability to interface effectively with different groups internally and externally
- High bar; builds and retains world-class teams
It would be great if you had:
- Masters/PHD in related field of engineering
- Member of aerospace industry advisory and / or rule-making boards
- Base salary range for this position is $190,000-$230,000 and is based upon years of experience that is commensurate with the level of the position
- Robust equity program with significant upside potential
- Bonus potential
- Open PTO
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description