Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
Outrider seeks an Advanced Assembly Operations Manager to design, build, and evolve autonomous vehicle assembly/engineering operations from low-quantity production through to scaled, world-class production operations that maximize quality and minimize cost. The Advanced Assembly Operations Manager will 1/develop the blueprint for a process that assembles a kit of off-the-shelf hardware and integrates proprietary software, and then 2/use that blueprint to directly guide day-to-day assembly operations on-site and with third-party OEMs and contract manufacturers.
This position requires a high degree of knowledge in assembly process flow design and optimization and advanced manufacturing tools and planning, as well as technician / operator leadership with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude.
The ideal candidate has successfully taken an assembly or manufacturing operation through the full lifecycle -- from concept through to commercial scale -- and has applied advanced manufacturing tools, preferably within a start-up environment involving electric, sustainable transportation and/or autonomous hardware.
- Design and implement the most efficient process flow and layout of assembly operations in the Outrider facility to ensure the highest level of quality and process efficiency
- Develop and publish KPIs for quality and production status and monitoring as well as strategic and operational objectives
- Develop and publish operator instructions, specifications for tools, part presentation specifications and other workstation documentation
- Deploy manufacturing data systems to capture assembly and manufacturing quality data as well as provide operator instructions and other relevant operator / technician information critical to specific tasks
- Minimize the assembly and manufacturing footprint of the Outrider operation in coordination with and in consideration of engineering, facilities, supply chain, and operational requirements
- Lead, coach and mentor the operator and/or technician teams supporting the internal and external assembly and manufacturing operations for the company
- Train the teams in the use of the appropriate statistical tools, process qualifications and quality protocols for the respective workstations or areas
- Collaborate with the supply chain function to deploy ERP modules relevant to areas of the assembly and manufacturing operations such as MRP and production control
- Ensure that the assembly workforce is following with all regulations including ITAR and US Customs, OSHA, ISO and other regulations. Drive a safety culture within the Assembly and Advanced Manufacturing organization.
- Bring leadership, enthusiasm, and strucutre to the role in a fast-paced, fun, and collaborative environment.
- Occasional business travel required to visit equipment suppliers or potential third-party integrators (< 25%).
- Minimum 10 years of experience in assembly, manufacturing and advanced manufacturing disciplines at a vehicle, hardware or other systems manufacturing provider
- Fluent in manufacturing and quality tools, including lean manufacturing processes and techniques, GD&T, PFMEA and APQP
- Familiarity with ISO-9001 production and manufacturing practices
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills, especially within a fast and dynamic operation
- Proficient in Quality (SPC, DoE) and MES operations software
- Experience in a startup or similar fast-paced environment where there is frequent change and a need to demonstrate and act with a sense of urgency, flexibility and adaptiveness
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related discipline
- ASQ, CMfgE, and/or CPIM certifications
- ISO-9001 certification
Read Full Job Description