We’re looking for a Sr. Manager of Product Marketing to join our rapidly growing team!
We’re Verblio: a unique content writing startup based in Denver, CO. Content is a core foundation of modern marketing. But it’s really hard to create quality content, particularly at scale. It requires time, resources, and talent, and many companies simply can’t reasonably or cost-effectively staff in-house.
That’s where we come in. By combining a marketplace business model with the flexibility and deep vertical expertise of SaaS, Verblio enables writers to create 70,000+ pieces of unique content per year for our customers. With a network of over 3,000 professional writers, Verblio provides the platform for modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers to create unique content creation solutions.
To do all of this, we’ve created a high-performing SaaS startup led by a 15-year marketplace industry veteran and staffed by a team of energetic, eclectic startup junkies, writing enthusiasts, and random liberal arts degree collectors.
We’ve been on a full-tilt growth spurt for several years and have grandiose plans for world domination in the near future...and that’s where you come in! We are looking for the right Sr. Manager of Product Marketing to join our team to help us create key pieces of this rocket.
About the role:
Does turning complex business challenges into easy-to-understand & finely-crafted products energize you? Do you struggle to decide whether you’re more into content marketing or product marketing? Have you decided big companies are just not your thing and you can’t get enough of the startup / growth company life? If so, read on, we’ve got something exciting.
NOTE: this job description might be different than others you’ve read. Our goal is to paint a picture of where we are, the opportunities we have, and what we need. So, give it a read. If you think “damn, that sounds absolutely energizing!” we want to talk to you. If you think “I’m pretty lost” or “these people are insane”, this probably isn’t the right role for you.
Here’s the situation …
Verblio’s core business is growing quickly. We’re bootstrapped, powered primarily by our inbound marketing efforts, adding outbound sales to the mix with promising early results, and putting up some impressive growth numbers (even in the year 2020 and everything it brings).
Our core offering is content creation for digital marketing. Our network of freelance writers has the breadth of background to create content for astoundingly niche businesses. Our software & services are designed to fulfill the needs of digital marketing agencies who need that content at scale.
Here’s what we need …
BUT to take things to the next level (or add more boosters to the rocket if you were into that analogy) we need product marketing to become a company-wide priority, and we need a product marketing leader to make that happen.
First, product marketing can be an ambiguous term, so let’s talk about what that means to us specifically.
We see opportunities across 3 key areas of growth:
- Vertical solutions. We build a content offering that is specific to a particular vertical (say, compliant content for insurance or Google My Business content for franchises). We’ve done this once, we believe we can step and repeat.
- Horizontal solutions. We build content offerings that are adjacent to the ones we offer, and fulfill key needs in content marketing. A perfect example: content refreshes/revamps—new SEO results from existing content.
- Content enhancements. We build solutions that make the content we produce today even more powerful for our customers—these solutions help them with engagement, distribution, strategy, etc. Examples here: SEO optimization of content we write, adding custom design elements or custom photography. We also acquired a video company to play with.
Here are just a few of the reasons we believe the what is key to our future success:
- Content at scale in a niche vertical is hard. That creates blue-ocean opportunities.
- We’ve heard from our top clients that no one is doing content refreshes at scale well, yet they’re one of the best performing techniques in content marketing & SEO.
- There are a lot of moving pieces required to do content marketing well. We do one of those pieces (creation) extremely well. By adding more pieces, we help our customers make content marketing easier and become more of a one-stop-shop.
Ok, now you come into this story …
As Sr. Manager of Product Marketing, you’ll be responsible for:
- Making The what happen
- Evangelizing The why internally and externally
Probably some specifics would be helpful.
Define & prioritize market opportunities. Partner with our sales team & our leadership team to do market research, customer interviews, and testing to understand which of the many opportunities we see are big. Help internal and external clients understand opportunities & products by defining them concisely and compellingly.
Design product solutions that fit these market opportunities. Considering market opportunities and the vertical/horizontal/enhancements we discussed earlier, conjur products into existence that meet the needs of these market opportunities.
Create and execute go-to-market plans for products. Take things from theoretical ideas to tests we can execute to scalable solutions, partnering with our sales team, operations team, product & engineering teams. There’s a lot that goes into this; planning, project management, cross-functional collaboration, collateral development (and more!)
Do all of this in a bootstrapped startup environment. The three things above are hard (one of our mentors said product marketing is the hardest of the disciplines in marketing). But, because we like challenges, it’s worth reiterating that we’re a bootstrapped startup and there are resource constraints that come along with that. (But also a huge degree of freedom in what you can create.)
Oh! One more thing! This role will report to our VP of Marketing and be part of the marketing team. That means that there are also opportunities and needs in marketing outside of product marketing. Product marketing will be your main gig, but there are other areas of marketing that have lots of opportunity. We’re looking for someone who’s jazzed about this.
Whew! If you’re reading this and still feeling psyched, definitely keep reading.
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- 3-5 years of product marketing experience.
- 1-2 years of digital marketing experience (preferably in content marketing &/or SEO).
- A solid understanding and deep interest in content marketing and SEO. If words like content refresh/revamp, domain authority, content promotion, people also ask, SEO optimization are not part of your vocabulary, this isn’t the right role for you.
- Key product marketing skills: research, project management, collateral & messaging development, cross-functional team leadership, comfort working with clients ...
- A desire to do all of this (and it’s a lot) in a startup environment where budgets aren’t unlimited, systems can be complex & imperfect, and scrappiness is required.
What makes Verblio a great place to work?
- We work hard, have fun, learn a lot, and are proud of our transparent, collaborative culture.
- We believe in doing good, and that creating great opportunities for home-based writers is just as important as helping our clients find their next customer.
- We made the Inc 5000 list for the second time and won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley.
- We offer competitive salaries, equity, health, dental & vision insurance, and a generous vacation policy.
Excited about this opportunity? If so, click here to apply with your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile link, and 1-2 sentences that show you went deep into this job description and it speaks to you.