Senior Manager of Marketing Operations at Verblio
Verblio needs an experienced marketing ops person with skills and unbridled enthusiasm to lead marketing and sales operations, tools, systems, data, and processes.Your job: Architect the tracks and maintain the trains on our bootstrapped rocket.
Verblio is a content creation platform based in Denver, CO. We are content marketing enthusiasts with an amazing brand and platform. We’re in full-tilt growth mode with grandiose plans for world domination (the friendly kind) and show no signs of slowing down. Content is vital to modern marketing—but it’s really hard to do well and at scale (it’s hard to do great things in large quantities. That’s why wedding food is often so bad.) To help companies do that, Verblio nurtures a network of over 3,000 writers—plus a marketplace business model and an easy-to-use platform for collaboration—to allow modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers create great content. We’re looking for an energetic, methodical, and creative head of marketing operations to join our team.
What you’ll do at Verblio
The Marketing team at Verblio is adding a Senior Manager of Marketing Operations to help our marketing team run faster and smarter, pass batons better, leap hurdles more gracefully… this running analogy is crossing the finish line. Oh, and while this role reports into marketing, we’re buddies with sales, and since they also could use some help, we think this role will be even more awesome and useful with the full-funnel visibility of owning sales ops too. How do you feel about dotted lines?
You will be responsible for:
- Owning and optimizing the tech stack. Maintain and improve the tools we use to run sales and marketing, from the WordPress site to the sales CRM. Sometimes it isn’t the prettiest and we also have to play in databases (Hello, BigQuery) - being comfortable (not necessarily an expert) and familiarity with SQL will certainly help here.
- Building new processes and systems that allow functional areas to talk to each other. Retargeting ads should be aware of signups. Email marketing should be aware of lifecycle stages. Etc. (So Customer Journey mapping and process charts should be a second language).
- Owning the operations for key areas of marketing, such as email marketing and A/B testing. You’ll help us manage email lists, send broadcasts, and manage automation. You’ll also execute split tests, pop-ups, and more.
- Creating and improving marketing analytics dashboards and reporting, in conjunction with functional areas of the marketing and sales teams. If words like Zapier, Supermetrics, Stitch, ETL scare you, this isn’t for you. (Expertise in all not required, interest is.)
- Owning operations for select areas of our sales process. You’ll support our outbound and pipeline optimization efforts through things like list sourcing and management, and creating and implementing CRM best practices.
- Proactively documenting and improving processes. If you’re in a meeting and we’re talking process, your default is to write it down and/or sketch it out so we don’t lose it, and you can evaluate that it makes sense.
- Testing new tools and systems, but not just for the heck of it—we believe most tools aren’t used to their full potential and switching is usually not a silver bullet.
- Running special projects. Much like the special forces of marketing, you’ll step in to design and execute on stuff we’d like to improve or test. Examples, you say?
- Our front-end chat has been languishing for 2 years. We need to do something about that. Analyze the performance of chatbots + live chat (tools and people), rearchitect the systems, make vendor decisions, orchestrate people and tools and processes that improve lead capture and delight prospects.
- Can we be the friendliest content creation platform in the business without a phone number? We’re not sure yet, but we do want to test putting 1-800-VERBLIO in our top nav. Figuring out systems and staffing to run that test and measuring what happens? Yeah, that’s you.
And by the way, we aren’t expecting candidates to have used all of these, just some. If you’re a tools junkie, you’ll learn the rest quick. Zapier wizards get major bonus points.
- WordPress + Beaver Builder + an assortment of bolt-ons
- Gravity forms will be a friend to you and the “start” of all leads flowing into our system
- Optin Monster, RightMessage
- Keap (but we were cool enough to be using it when it was Infusionsoft, and don’t dare say Keap Max Classic out loud around here)
- Data stuff: Data Studio, Metabase, BigQuery in testing. Spreadsheets are a serious friend of yours. When the team needs to know which piece of content to refresh, which landing page variant is crushing it, or which lead source generates the fastest time to close, you say “I’ve got a dashboard for that.”
- The obvious ones: Asana, Zapier, all the Google things, Microsoft Teams (juuuuust kidding)
- Toying with/thinking & dreaming about: company-wide CRM, social media management, Drift, better podcasting tools
What you will need to be successful in this role:
You’re a stage manager at heart - making sure the show goes off without a hitch is waaaay cooler than writing it, starring in it, or winning an award for costume design.
You rock at getting tools to talk to each other: Zapier, working w/devs on APIs, HTTP posts, etc (with support from dev along the way).
You’re crazy for analytics: extract data from tools, workflows on “cleaning/transforming data” are a second language to you, make sense of it. Automate recurring questions
You’re nuts for tool evaluation and scaling: you can survey the team and the marketplace to make sure we’re using the right tool for the job. You can help us get the most bang for our buck (both by using all the features a tool offers and by executing tests throughout the funnel)
- 2+ years of experience specifically with marketing and sales operations—tools, analysis, etc
- Experience with marketing automation tools, WordPress, and at least some of the things mentioned in the tools section of this job description
- Sales ops experience, or a deep desire to learn sales ops, quickly
- Analytics skills and a strong interest in analytics. Solid base and experience with Google Sheets, Analytics, and tool-specific analytics
- Own delivery of Verblio’s email marketing and reporting, on average one email per week
- Ability to go beyond today and help us architect the tools, processes, and systems necessary to run the marketing team at bigger scale
- Experience with, or interest in, content marketing & SEO
- Effective project management skills
- Ability to do all of this in a startup environment
- Serious attention to detail. We move fast, but try not to break things. And, increasing the velocity of marketing output like tests is an important KPI.
- You excel at using Google, your network, or your favorite marketing tools private group to answer tricky questions and debug systems.
- Cool or unexpected skills we haven’t mentioned? Let’s hear them.
You’ll be part of this hand-picked, highly efficient marketing & sales machine
4 (soon to be 7) Full-timers:
- VP of Marketing
- Sr. Director of Product Marketing
- Content Marketing Manager
- Marketing & Project Manager
- Director of Content Marketing
- [Hiring] Product Marketing Manager
- The sales team (7 people including 2 BDRs & one inbound rep, BDRs in particular will be key stakeholders).
4 very involved contractors:
- Technical digital marketer
- Marketing automation specialist
- CRO Strategist
3 specialized agencies:
- Webdev and design agency
- Project-based content marketing agency
- Other project-based agencies as needed
You’ll love working at Verblio because of our:
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Stylish sock options
- Health, dental & vision insurance with a generous monthly company contribution
- Family-friendly benefits, including generous parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Flexible paid time off and holidays.
- Pandemic Last Friday of every month off
- Truly awesome team of people - we don’t have needless meetings, don’t tolerate egos, and genuinely like each other. It’s awesome.
- Verblio has a vibrant company culture. We’re smart, welcoming, creative, and engaged in our jobs. We have a low turnover rate because people love working here. We’re looking for someone that wants to be a part of that.
- Did we mention we’re growing like mad? It’s way more fun to be on a rocketship than riding in circles on a model train set. (No disrespect to model train enthusiasts.) We made the Inc 5000 list for the second year in a row, won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley, and just made the Colorado Companies to Watch list.
- Some day when we can safely co-locate again, we’ve got in-person perks like free food & drink, fun events, a hip centrally-located Denver office, a free RTD Eco-pass, etc… Some day.
- Have you read the website? That’ll give you a good idea of our energy.
- This position pays $70,000 — $90,000, commensurate with experience.
Please apply with:
- your resume,
- LinkedIn profile link,
- A couple sentences about:
- your favorite 1-2 sentences that show you went deep into this job description and it speaks to you.
- What is one tool that you couldn’t live without for mapping processes? Why?
We’re headquartered in Denver, CO (though this position can be remote!)