Our communications team is made up of a variety of storytellers with a united purpose. They work cross-functionally to communicate the DISH story to journalists, colleagues, thought leaders and industry experts. From media relations to internal message building, they tell DISH's unique story of innovation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
What you will be doing
The Head of Wireless PR sets and oversees the strategic goals for the Public Relations Team supporting DISH Wireless' B2C and B2B media communications. This dynamic leader will be responsible for communications with media outlets, external stakeholders and coordination with internal communications to build the brand narrative of DISH Wireless.
This individual leads all aspects of our external communications and public relations activities with the goal of building our brand as an industry innovator and leader. S/he works closely with the C-suite, executive team, marketing, product, government affairs and sales teams to identify opportunities to tell our story, and ensure the message lands with the right audience at the right time.
Day-to-day job responsibilities
Strategic Thinking and Business Acumen:
- Supervise, develop and manage the talent serving our Wireless communications team.
- Serve as a key counselor to our Chairman, Wireless leadership team, Head of Corporate Communications, and other key business executives.
- Align the Wireless teams, partners and others on the company's strategic path.
- Develop and oversee development of media strategy plans, including executive overviews, goals/objectives, defined KPIs, pitch angles/message positioning, social media plans, and other relevant materials/plans.
- Partner with relevant business units and support teams (marketing, sales, product, government affairs, etc.) to develop compelling strategies for storytelling that amplify DISH's leadership position and raise awareness about the company's retail offerings and network development.
- Establish and implement the overall strategic plans for the team that is consistent with organizational values and goals.
- Oversee monitoring and reporting of traditional and social media outlets for coverage of DISH news and competitor developments. Provide strategic communications counsel and constructive feedback to executives; develop messaging and prepare executives for speaking engagements; staff interviews and presentations.
- Serve as communications subject matter expert and follow public relations best practices for integrated campaigns, measurement, trends and media opportunities.
- Anticipate and proactively offer solutions to senior leadership for issues and opportunities that arise.
- Represent DISH as part of any incident response to advise and coordinate appropriate external communication.
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures and communications to enhance the department's effectiveness.
- Upholds the highest standards of integrity and informs all her/his actions from that basis.
- Happily assumes other duties as assigned.
- Manage budget and vendor relationships.
- Create PR materials including press releases, blog posts, media pitches, social media posts, fact sheets, FAQs, executive bios and measurement reports.
- Secure national, local and trade earned media placements; actively pitch, conduct proactive follow-up, and track and report results.
- Manage review and approval processes for key stakeholder and senior management input and sign-off.
- Develop work plans for all direct reports and mentor team members across the Corporate Communications team.
- Participate in the review process by providing constructive input on experiences with supervisors and colleagues as relevant for the team.
- Own personal growth and development by continually upgrading knowledge, skills and abilities to increase performance and long-term development goals.
- Coach members of the team on how to communicate with and present to senior leaders and outside organizations.
- Develop, maintain and improve the communications platforms (written, visual, verbal or electronic) DISH relies upon to communicate with all stakeholders.
- Model a collaborative, results-focused, and team-oriented approach.
Skills, Experience and Requirements
Skills and experience
Candidates should have progressive levels of public relations experience in B2B and B2C communication strategies. The ideal candidate is an efficient task manager skilled in program execution with a proven ability to leverage influential media contacts, lead cross-functional teams and generate results.
A successful Senior Corporate Communications Manager has the following:
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing or similar applicable field.
- 20+ years of professional PR/communications experience working in highly regulated industries and at companies in rapid growth mode.
- Wireless industry and public policy experience required. Analyst relations experience preferred.
- Experience managing and coaching other public relations professionals.
- Mastery of AP style and the ability to draft all media materials based on these guidelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong media relations skills; experience writing news releases, blog posts, social media content, pitches, speeches and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to develop PR opportunities, media stories and social media content.
- Well-developed critical thinking and decision-making skills; the ability to formulate a clear viewpoint on complicated issues, communicate recommendations and present new ideas to management.
- Strict attention to detail and the ability to work against tight deadlines; solid organizational and project management skills; the ability to adapt to changing priorities and manage projects autonomously.
Compensation: $140,000.00/Year - $200,000.00/Year
From versatile health perks to new career opportunities, check out our benefits on our careers website . Candidates need to successfully complete a pre-employment screen, which may include a drug test.
Relocation is available for this role.