Director of Marketing - COS or DEN
FoodMaven creates new pathways for food lost in the system due to oversupply, cosmetic imperfection or local food without effective distribution channels. FoodMaven sells this food through an online marketplace to restaurants and institutions like universities and hotels and donates it to hunger-relief organizations to fulfill its mission of all food used with good purpose. FoodMaven is good for profits, good for people and good for the planet.
The Director of Marketing reports to the COO and is a member of the senior leadership team. This position is responsible for the full range of marketing, including: Corporate and Brand Marketing; Product Marketing; Social/Content Marketing; and Demand Generation. The position will work closely with the CEO as the primary external “evangelist”, and with the VP of Government and Industry Affairs on external influence and PR activities. In short, this position owns the full range of marketing.
Given that FoodMaven is creating a new and innovative model in the large and entrenched food system, this is a challenge and opportunity for a uniquely talented marketing leader with commensurate talent, experience, and demonstrated relevant track record. This is a big transformation play.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Define the appropriate marketing organization for the company’s maturity/size.
- Be a role model for the company culture.
- Strategic planning including corporate market positioning and competitive analysis, customer segment selection and penetration plans, and related product positioning.
- Oversee marketing branding, including: brand development, messaging, advertising, white papers, trade shows, seminar and event collateral materials, analyst and market research management, and website design and content either directly or on an outsourced basis.
- Define and lead social marketing and content marketing strategy and execution.
- Define and direct marketing programs for demand creation, lead generation and interface with sales for lead tracking and management.
- Work closely with Director of Sales to develop and manage channel and partner strategies and programs.
- Oversee product marketing including market and customer research for market and product requirements, interface with product management for product development, product pricing and product lifecycle management.
- Oversee product marketing including product launch management, sales training, presentations, sales tools, competitive analysis and general sales support.
- Work with the CEO and the other executive team members to identify and develop strategic alliances, communicate with BoD members, and close/grow major customer accounts.
- Develop and manage the Company’s entire marketing budget.
- Develop and track metrics and success criteria for all marketing programs and activities.
- The Director of Marketing will lead and manage all the above marketing organizations and functions to insure appropriate scale, expertise, execution, management to financial objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Experience leading across the full spectrum of the current marketing strategies and tactics
- Minimum of 10 years marketing experience, with at least 4 years in senior management
- Track record establishing and extending new brands, in new markets
- Exceptional track record of developing and implementing marketing and sales strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives, providing personal leadership through example
- Solid working understanding of digital marketing technologies
- Experience working with outside agencies fitting for an emerging stage startup
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment
- Strong strategic planning and analysis skills in sales, marketing, and business (competitive) strategy
- Effective public speaking skills and presence externally representing company
- Strong demonstrated writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Recognized as an extraordinary market maker
- MBA or Masters in related field desired
- Venture-backed startup experience preferred
- Food system experience a plus
- Experience marketing in the food system preferred
- Demonstrated drive for progressive responsibility and roles in a high profile startup
- Location: Colorado (Colorado Springs or Denver area)
- Executive compensation appropriate to position
- Benefits per company plan
- Equity package commensurate with position and stage of investor backed startup