Director of Communications at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We’re looking for a Director of Communications to lead our PR & communications efforts. In this role, you’ll work closely with our VP of Marketing and executive team to develop and execute an effective strategy with the goal of increasing visibility of Checkr’s technology and mission to the broader public. The right candidate will possess a mix of strategic thinking, creative messaging, and an exceptional ability to collaborate and communicate. An ability to align various stakeholders on approach and messaging will be key.Responsibilities:
- Build and execute a proactive and world-class communications strategy that informs and inspires our customers
- Develop and execute strategic external communications plans that enhance the Checkr brand perception
- Own strategy, process and execution for crisis communications
- Cultivate and maintain deep relationships with trade/ business press, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders
- Lead development and coordination of executive briefing materials for key events and press. Assist in media training program, ensuring executives are aligned on messaging and prepared for all press briefings and opportunities
- Own the blog and social media strategies for Checkr
- Work cross functionally to communicate the way we are bringing the Checkr vision and mission to fruition
- Measure the effectiveness of communications delivered & iterate accordingly
- 8+ years of PR/corporate communications and team management experience
- Experience executing media campaigns, building relationships with media and working with executives
- Ability to leverage media campaigns and content creation to generate increased awareness
- Experience managing large-scale, high-visibility, strategic initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills—able to simplify complex topics in a friendly and approachable manner for both executive and end-user audiences
- Flexibility, learning agility, and ability to juggle and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience working with start-ups and tech or consumer internet companies
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $131,000-$154,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.