Content Marketing Manager at Verblio
We’re looking for a Content Marketing Manager to join our legitimately fantastic team!
We’ve got something really exciting going on here at Verblio. We are content marketing enthusiasts with an amazing brand and platform. And despite 2020 being the mess that it is, we’re in full-tilt growth mode with grandiose plans for world domination (the friendly kind), and we show no signs of slowing down.
What do we actually DO though? Well, Verblio is a unique content writing startup based in Denver, CO. Content is a core foundation of modern marketing—but it’s really hard to create quality content, particularly at scale (it’s hard to do great things in large quantities. That’s why wedding food is often so bad.) . Many companies can’t reasonably staff for the time, resources and talent they need to harness the power of content. So, we nurture a network of over 3,000 professional writers—plus a marketplace business model and an easy-to-use platform for collaboration—to allow modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers to create truly effective content solutions. We’re led by a 15-year marketplace industry veteran and staffed by a team of energetic, eclectic startup junkies, writing enthusiasts, and random liberal arts degree collectors as we brew this powerful SaaS + marketplace potion. We’re intoxicating and we think you’re going to like it.
And we have a LOT to do, and that’s where you come in! We are looking for the right Content Marketing Manager to join our team.
NOTE: Our goal with this job description is to paint a picture of where we are, the opportunities we have, and what we need. If you read it and think “damn, that sounds absolutely energizing!” we want to talk to you. If you think “I’m pretty lost” or “that sounds like way too much work” or “these people are insane”, this isn’t the right role for you. If you think, “This sounds mostly awesome but I have some questions”, let’s talk.
About the role:
This role is kinda meta: you’ll lead content marketing for a content creation company that’s focused on helping other companies do content marketing.
It’s kinda funny, but it also means we’re in a crowded space: if we create run of the mill content about content marketing, it means we’re competing for attention in the SERP and the mind of our prospect with companies you might’ve heard of like HubSpot, Moz, etc, etc (etc).
So, we have to be either more thoughtful than that about what we target, or we have to create better content. Or, ideally, both.
But, we’ve got some cool things going for us too:
- A 50 DA
- A brand that is starting to turn heads in our space
- Strong partners in SEO, copywriting, design
- An awesome tech platform backed by awesome humans
And, we’ve got some a number of vehicles for content, too:
- Our blog
- Our site in general
- A shiny new podcast (The Verblio Show)
- A sizeable email list
- Our customer base
- Expo booths once that’s a thing again
Until recently, Verblio’s business was built almost entirely on inbound marketing. We’ve got a strong inbound funnel that’s working—it delivers 20+ new customers per week, almost like clockwork.
Here’s the big picture for your role:
It’s time for us to level-up our content. What we’ve done so far in the content marketing space has been good, but we believe that getting to great can help us accelerate our growth even further:
- There’s a lot more room to grow through inbound.
- We’ve recently begun investing in outbound sales and marketing, and need the content to make those efforts more powerful.
- A key focus for the company over the next 24 months is productizing our offerings to go after new verticals & new markets. We’ll need powerful content to support these efforts.
You’ll be helping to create content for Verblio’s content marketing:
- Content for SEO. In partnership with our SEO team, develop blog posts, pillar pages, landing pages, data-driven content, and more that keeps the organic traffic flowing.
- Content for the podcast. We see the podcast as adding value in a multitude of ways. And, it’s off to a strong start. We believe someone serving as the producer who’s focused on how to make it even better can make it shine.
- Content for the funnel.
- Lead magnets & gated content
- Case studies
- Email broadcasts and campaign-based emails
On a day-to-day basis that means you will...
Define and organize content marketing strategy. Partner with the marketing team, SEO team, company leadership & sales team to set content marketing strategy based on company goals, keep it all organized, and organize it across our various channels in a disciplined manner.
Execute on said strategy. Working with a team of writers and designers, the broader marketing team, sales, leadership, and anyone else at the company and beyond you recruit to your informal team, create awesome content.
Promote and measure said content. We’ll be honest: content promotion and amplification is a serious weakness of ours. Maybe it’s because our marketing team has historically been a bit introverted. Maybe it’s because we’ve got a lot going on. Or maybe it’s because content promotion is f&*(ing hard. Regardless of the reason, we need some help in this area, and this will be a key focus of this role.
Build outstanding stuff. With some caveats, we believe in the theory of 10x content. We also wholeheartedly agree with this quote: “The returns on writing something great are enormous; the returns on writing something average are zero.” We’ve got tons of opportunity for great content.
Do all of this in a hard-working startup environment. Content marketing is hard (especially, as noted, in the marketing space). And, on top of that, it’s worth reiterating that we’re a scrappy startup and there are resource constraints that come along with that. (But also a huge degree of freedom in what you can create.)
Serve as editor-in-chief and help steward the Verblio brand voice. Synthesize, be able to embody, and help us manage the voice of the Verblio brand—fun, whimsical, but smart.
Be an effective communicator. We are looking for clear, direct communicators. That means interpersonally and in your writing.
Oh! One more thing! This role will report to our VP of Marketing and be part of the marketing team. That means that there are also opportunities and needs in marketing outside of content marketing. Content marketing will be your main gig, but there are other areas of marketing that have lots of opportunity. position will also influence the core product. For example, take your best practices and help turn into our platform offerings. Make our core product better through your understanding of content marketing. Act as the tip of the spear in testing out what we should build next. We’re looking for someone who’s jazzed about this, because we’re jazzed about this!
Verblio has a vibrant company culture. We’re smart, welcoming, creative, and engaged in our jobs. We love to share resources and recommendations. We like to make each other laugh. We care about our jobs, but not so much that it kills us. We care about our families, our communities, our hobbies, and our mental health, too. We have a low turnover rate because people love working here. We’re looking for someone that wants to be a part of that.
We’ll warn you in advance that this is a big role, with a lot of responsibility, and not for someone looking for a 9-5.
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- 3-5 years of content marketing experience.
- A solid understanding and deep interest in content marketing and SEO. If words like content refresh/revamp, domain authority, content promotion, people also ask, and SEO optimization are not part of your vocabulary, this probably isn’t the right role for you.
- Key content marketing skills: research, project management, collateral & messaging development, content promotion & amplification.
- The desire to do what it takes to effectively promote content in our space—get out there (virtually) make connections, pitch, etc.
- Strong content writing and copywriting skills. While you won’t primarily be writing, we’re looking for someone who can do that well.
- A desire to do all of this in a startup environment where budgets aren’t unlimited, systems can be complex & imperfect, and scrappiness is required.
- Analytical skills. We believe that (most) content should be measured.
- A voracious appetite for marketing content, because you thoroughly enjoy it.
- Bonus points for social media experience (particularly LinkedIn).
- Double bonus points for experience at a digital marketing agency.
- Cool or unexpected skills that would make you great for the role but we haven’t mentioned? Let’s hear them.
What makes Verblio a great place to work:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Health, dental & vision insurance with a generous monthly company contribution
- Flexible paid time off and holidays
- You’ll have a high degree of ownership and opportunity to inspire your passion and personal fulfillment
- Your work will be varied and challenging to help you grow every day
- Did we mention we’ve got a really fun team culture and everyone is delightfully intelligent and that we share a wonderful set of company values?
- Did we mention we’re growing like mad? It’s way more fun to be on a rocketship to the stars than not. We made the Inc 5000 list for the second year in a row, won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley, and just made the Colorado Companies to Watch list.
- Some day when we can safely co-locate again, we’ve got in-person perks like free food & drink, fun events, a hip centrally-located Denver office, a free RTD Eco-pass, etc… Some day
- Have you read the website? That’ll give you a good idea of our energy.
Excited about this opportunity? Click here to apply with your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile link, and 1-2 sentences that show you read this whole thing and it speaks to you.