Staff Counsel at Pinnacol Assurance
Pinnacol Assurance does just one thing, and does it better than anyone: provide caring workers’ compensation protection to Colorado employers and employees. Although employers are required by law to provide Worker’s Comp insurance, we believe our service is making a meaningful impact in worker’s lives across Colorado in their moments of need.
We have big hearts and love big ideas. We’ve been around for over 100 years, but don’t let that fool you. Pinnacol is committed to taking care of Colorado employers and workers in the most innovative of ways! We celebrate continuous improvement, new ideas, compassion, teamwork, integrity and excellence.
With our number one priority to keep everyone safe, along with the heart of Pinnacol’s “culture of caring” to do what is right and not what is easy, we’re currently having our team members work from home. During remote work, we’re still making time for fun! We host virtual painting classes, virtual yoga and Zumba classes, and virtual happy hours!
What you’ll do:
Provide legal analysis, advice and litigation management assistance to assigned teams, appropriate claims representatives, senior staff counsel and staff counsel with the goal of reducing litigation volume, improving litigation outcomes and reducing claims and legal costs.
What you can expect:
- Resolve issues endorsed for hearing to eliminate need for litigation
- Analyze and resolve issues raised by interaction with business teams and policyholders to avoid litigation
- Represent Company at prehearing conferences to reduce litigation volume, improve litigation outcomes and reduce claims and legal costs
- Represent Company at settlement conferences to reduce litigation volume, improve litigation outcomes and reduce claims and legal costs
- Provide training on legal issues to executives, business directors, business team members and policyholders to ensure understanding of current law
- Draft pleadings with assistance of paralegals in attempt to resolve claims in-house
- Participate in decisions regarding referral of files to outside counsel; refer files to outside counsel for litigation if appropriate
- Document work activity in claim’s computer file to preserve claim’s history
- Assist appeals counsel with monthly presentation of current state of workers’ compensation law
- Attend staff counsel meetings to discuss in-house legal issues; formulate policies and procedures as needed
- Provide mentoring and training assistance to senior staff counsel and staff counsel to reduce litigation volume, improve litigation outcomes and reduce claims and legal costs
- Serve on Company committees to offer legal advice
- Litigate issues when appropriate to reduce claims and legal costs
- Participate in team and department meetings
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
What you’ll bring to the table:
Licensed to practice law in Colorado. Extensive experience in Colorado workers’ compensation litigation required. Strong writing and presentation skills required. Minimum of 7 years of extensive experience in Colorado workers’ compensation litigation required.We can’t do our work without people like you.
Our employees are extraordinary and committed to making a difference. Here’s some of the ways we show our appreciation.
- Our benefits go beyond the basics. You’ll get to choose from diverse benefit offerings for medical, dental and vision.
- We care about each other. We enjoy a positive, collaborative work environment. We are hard workers and high performers.
- Take a day (or 20!) off. Enjoy 20 paid days off your first full year plus 9 paid holidays.
- Take care of yourself. Sign up for unique wellness programs, including on-site, company-paid fitness facilities and classes
- Get your learning on. We promote a learning culture to help you master your current job and cultivate the skills of the future through a variety of on-site, online, and off-site professional development opportunities.
- Give back and get paid. Through our employee volunteer program, Pinnacol in Action, employees receive paid time off to volunteer with Colorado nonprofits.
- Share in our success. You’ll have the opportunity to earn a quarterly incentive, up to 20 percent of your annual base salary, when your team exceeds their goals and objectives.
When we find the right person, we try to put our best foot forward with an offer that excites you. We consider what you’d like to be paid, what similar jobs pay in the Denver area and make sure there’s equal pay for equal work among those you’ll be working with.
Want to love your work? Apply today!