CircleCI is looking for an outstanding Senior Legal Counsel to join our dynamic and collaborative legal team. We work cross-functionally and partner closely with other departments to help achieve CircleCI’s ambitious goals and help see around corners to protect the company’s core values and interests. This key Legal hire will have a broad focus in the following areas: employment, recruiting, international expansion, business transactions and commercial contracts, litigation and dispute resolution, and BD & partnerships. This role is amazing for someone wants to dive right in, learn quickly on the job, and ultimately become an integral contributor to the company’s continued expansion! As part of our growing team, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to all aspects of our in-house legal work and help drive impact across our organization as we rapidly scale.
This position reports to the Associate General Counsel.What you’ll do:
- Work across a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues.
- Collaborate with the People Ops team on employment law matters for our global and distributed organization. Participate in the preparation and review of employment policies, employee benefit plans, and employment agreements.
- Advise on securities law and related general corporate matters. Work collaboratively on equity and debt financings, secondary transactions, board measures, and other corporate matters. Stay current on corporate governance trends and standards and SEC and Nasdaq developments, including research or benchmarking projects. Assist with subsidiary maintenance for all domestic and international subsidiaries.
- Partner with the Recruiting team on hiring, immigration, and international expansion matters.
- Draft, negotiate and close a variety of contracts, such as sales, licensing, consulting agreements, and vendor contracts, and support CircleCI’s fast-moving, global Revenue team.
- Prepare, evaluate, and negotiate a variety of partnerships, reseller agreements and strategic alliance transactions.
- Collaborate with teams across CircleCI, including People Ops, Recruiting, Sales, Finance, BD, Marketing, Security, Customer Engineering, Product & Engineering.
- Advise on a full range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws on data security, marketing, consumer protection, risk management, and partner relations.
- Partner with our Security team on data privacy, GDPR and CCPA compliance efforts and provide in-house subject matter expertise with respect to evolving domestic and international data privacy laws.
- Identify ways and initiate projects to continuously improve templates, processes, and operations.
- 7+ years of experience as a practicing attorney, including experience working at a best-in-class law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience supporting HR and Recruiting teams at a fast-growing, international company.
- Extensive experience with technology agreements and commercial transactions; specific experience with SaaS contracts is a plus.
- Strong communication and project management skills with a strict attention to detail.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information at the highest level.
- Experience working with international teams and cross-functionally within organizations.
- Collaborator who enjoys building relationships and collaborating with others.
- The ability to prioritize and advance multiple projects happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment, and being capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- The willingness to jump in and do whatever needs doing, whether or not it fits squarely in your area of expertise.
- Membership in at least one state bar.
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Gmail, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, DocuSign and Salesforce. We will train a person who has experience with similar tools or an ability to learn.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools - processing more than 1 million builds a day - CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Colorado Salary Range: $157,500 - $185,500/yr
Level: Mid-Senior Level