Guild Education is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel who will be responsible for a full range of legal matters that arise in connection with the development, administration and maintenance of our education benefits marketplace and related products and services.
This role will work closely with all business teams (including technology, product development, marketing, finance, HR, client service, etc.) and will require excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to influence others by developing strong working relationships and delivering excellent commercial solutions to complex legal and regulatory issues. This position is best suited for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with a passion for making a difference in the lives of others by providing them with opportunities for advancement through education. This position requires at least 7 years of experience as an attorney (a combination of law firm and in-house corporate legal department experience preferred) and will be based in our Denver office.
- Draft and negotiate complex legal agreements with sophisticated clients, including Fortune 100 companies, universities, colleges and other learning providers
- Project manage commercial contracting processes, including collaborating with internal and external clients and advising internal clients, including executives within the company, on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals
- Develop and foster strong working relationships with internal business clients, customers, vendors, and other third parties and their associated legal counsel
- Support the development, management and continuous improvement of legal processes and standard form agreements, documents and policies
- Monitor, research and anticipate legal and regulatory developments or other unique legal issues that could impact the company and help proactively resolve legal and other compliance issues
- Recommend and assist in developing risk-management processes and procedures
- Provide legal support in the development and launch of new education benefits products
- Assist in the development and provision of legal training programs on the contracting process, legal processes, company policies, and other legal topics
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school required
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado (preferred) or another state
- 7+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; with a combination of law firm and in-house corporate legal department experience preferred
Required Skills & Experience:
- In-depth, comprehensive experience drafting, negotiating, and interpreting complex technology agreements
- Extensive experience partnering with Fortune 100 companies
- Highly organized with the ability to manage simultaneous projects, prioritize and manage work consistent with the company’s business objectives and requirements, and meet deadlines
- Collaborative nature with strong partnering skills across all levels of internal and external clients
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, high-performing, collegial, business results-driven environment is a must
- Business-minded with a demonstrated ability to identify legal and business issues, balance risks, provide practical and constructive legal advice in a fast-paced business environment
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex matters and concisely and clearly convey advise into easy to understand written communications for a wide range of constituencies within the company
- Strong work ethic coupled with the ability to consistently maintain high service quality, efficiency, and ethical standards
- Technology / Software industry experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently and self sufficiently and respond promptly to legal requests in a team environment
- Meaningful experience with legal issues associated with one of more of the following:
- Intellectual Property
- Data Privacy (including GDPR) and Data Governance
- Labor and Employment
- Higher Education
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We also just became the latest female-led company to hit a $1billion valuation and the only B-corp with those qualifications. Our Series D round was led by Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.