Senior Legal Counsel, Employment at Guild Education (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Some roles may be remote (as stated in the Job Title). Remote roles can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
We are looking for a forward-thinking in-house Employment Counsel to join Guild Education’s growing team in downtown Denver. In this role, you'll have a diverse range of responsibilities focused on labor and employment, Guild’s broader compliance initiatives and other legal matters that arise in connection with supporting Guild’s business. This position is best suited for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment with a passion for making a difference in the lives of others by providing them with opportunities for advancement through education. This position requires at least 7 years of experience (a combination of law firm and in-house legal department experience preferred) as an attorney and will be based in our Denver office.
- Partner with People Operations and key business stakeholders to provide guidance on a variety of employment law matters, including recruiting, hiring, employee relations, performance counseling, discipline and terminations, employment claims, wage and hour issues, immigration, and leave issues under federal and state laws
- Monitor and research applicable legislative and regulatory developments that could impact Guild and our industry partners, and translate that into practical advice to help Guild proactively anticipate and resolve legal and other compliance issues
- Provide legal guidance related to Guild’s education benefits offerings
- Draft, review, and improve employment policies, handbooks, manuals, form agreements, and related procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws/regulations and standard methodologies
- Coordinate with People Operations to conduct internal investigations regarding a broad spectrum of employee relations matters, including employee malfeasance, leaves of absence issues, hotline reports, and audits; prepare investigation reports and provide recommendations
- Draft, negotiate, and review severance and settlement agreements, employment agreements, consulting agreements, NDAs and restrictive covenants, and other similar agreements
- Provide support with drafting and amending compensation plans and programs
- Review and negotiate vendor agreements related to People Operations initiatives
- Develop and foster strong working relationships with internal business clients, customers, vendors, and other third parties and their associated legal counsel
- Assist in the development and provision of legal training programs on legal processes, company policies, and other topics
- Provide general legal support on a range of other business initiatives
- Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado
- 7+ years of relevant law firm and/or corporate legal department experience; ; a combination of law firm and in-house legal department experience preferred
Required Skills & Experience:
- Ability to analyze and synthesize sophisticated matters and concisely and clearly convey advice through written communications for a wide range of constituencies within the company
- Highly organized with the ability to manage simultaneous projects, prioritize and manage work consistent with the company’s business objectives and requirements
- Collaborative nature with strong partnering skills across all levels of internal and external clients
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and skills
- Success working in a fast-paced, high-performing, collegial environment
- Business-minded with a demonstrated ability to identify legal and business issues, balance risks, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a fast-paced business environment
- Strong work ethic coupled with the ability to consistently maintain high service quality, efficiency, and ethical standards
- Ability to work independently and respond promptly to requests in a team environment
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $175,000-208,750, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.