Senior Employment Counsel at Fivetran
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
We’re hiring for a Senior Employment Counsel!
Want to have an impact at one of the fastest-growing unicorn companies in the Bay Area? Join the Legal team at Fivetran! Fivetran was recently named to the Cloud 100 list as one of the hottest cloud software companies today. We’re looking for a business-minded, detail-oriented, process-builder and educator to join our global SaaS company and growing legal team. Our first lawyer dedicated to employment law issues, you will be a capable and experienced employment law advisor and tactician, as well as a business builder. Working in close partnership with our People team, including our recruiting, compensation and benefits, HR, learning and development, and workplace operations teams, you will help build our business, operationalize our processes across the globe, and proactively manage risk assessment on cutting edge issues. This role can be based remotely, or out of one of Fivetran’s US offices (pending post-COVID return to work plans).
What you’ll work on: An unparalleled opportunity to bring not only your employment law skills, but also your broader legal and business acumen to help us put in place processes that efficiently scale and build our business for the long term. This is a strategic role that will grow with the business, and advise on critical and broad-based areas of risk and opportunity. You’ll deep dive into our business model and bring this deep company knowledge into your work advising Fivetran on items big and small.
Responsibilities may include:
- Provide risk analysis, assessment, and tailored recommendations for novel risks presented to the business as it relates to employment, people management, global expansion, and more
- Provide day to day counseling and support to the People team on the full employment and compliance life cycle ranging from hiring, offers, compensation, diversity and inclusion, leaves, performance management, investigations, accommodations, learning and development, and employment law-related compliance training and reporting
- Advise on COVID-related safety and return to work measures for each jurisdiction
- Review, update, and work collaboratively with the People team and other key leaders on developing and implementing all employment-related policies and practices, including documentation and audits of the same
- Maintaining cutting-edge industry knowledge, perspective, and networks within the employment law community for technology companies and global companies
- Providing risk analysis, assessment, and tailored recommendations for novel risks presented to the business as it relates to employment, people management, global expansion and more
- Manage legal requirements and obligations related to non-US offices in connection with local HR and legal partners, including managing PEO engagements
- Draft, update and own key employment law agreement templates across multiple jurisdictions, working with regional outside employment counsel where appropriate
- Provide advice and oversight for global immigration and mobility programs, including working with the People team who is the primary day to day point of contact with outside global immigration counsel
- Review and manage legal and compliance risks to the company, providing practical and strategic solutions for resolving any employment related disputes, including litigation
- Ensure employment law-related reporting on a regular basis as required based on jurisdiction, working in partnership with our People, Finance, and other key teams on the same
- Actively participate in diversity and inclusion related projects and programs
- Provide other relevant support to the company’s corporate activities, including operations and expansion
- Other special projects given your interest areas and/or the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
What we’re looking for: A persuasive, personable and risk-adjusted multi-tasker with a process and operations-orientation to help educate and build the business as Fivetran scales.
Key qualities include:
- Experience providing practical, flexible and risk-adjusted advice to fast-growing clients, with an eye toward business impact, preferably on a global scale (prior in-house experience preferred but not required)
- A problem-solving mentality, willing to make a call and be an active decision maker
- Orientation towards process and operations, and ability to spot and act on improvements to systems, standards, templates, policies and practices that help reduce risk, remove friction, and propel the business
- Proactive nature - a lawyer who is not afraid to also project manage to ensure essential risk reduction strategies and adjustments are carried through to completion
- Team orientation first and foremost, with leadership skills that contribute to maintaining a positive (and fun!) team and company culture
- International employment law exposure not required, but willingness and ability to jump into managing our global employment needs and partnering with local experts is a must
- Excellent judgment and integrity; ability to advise with nuance and a north star, bringing business judgement to apply right-sized and risk-adjusted approaches
- Ability to work independently and closely manage multiple outside counsel across various time zones and deadlines, with the judgement to know when to outsource to outside counsel vs. make a call internally
- Comfort with fast-paced environments and openness to change
- Aptitude for working with diverse stakeholders and rolling with the punches
- A healthy sense of humor
- At least 6-8 years of experience in employment law at a law firm or as in-house counsel, or other specialized relevant employment law experience at a company of similar stage
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction, with eligibility to become a registered in-house counsel in either California or Colorado
Who we are: Data fuels powerful insights. We believe access to data should be as simple and reliable as utilities. We provide data power to companies big and small looking to extract their data from a variety of data sources, to be loaded into warehouses like Snowflake, Databricks, Amazon Redshift and more. Check out our customer stories to see how we help some of the world’s most innovative companies (including Docusign, Strava, and Donors Choose) superpower their data analytics capabilities with Fivetran’s modern data stack. Fivetran reached unicorn status in June 2020 when we raised a $100M Series C led by Andreessen Horowitz and General Catalyst, and recently raised a blockbuster series D while acquiring rival company, HVR. We power the modern data stack from our Oakland, CA headquarters with a global team grounded in integrity, initiative, and our ethos of “1 Team, 1 Dream.”
What you need to know: Title of the role to be based on relevancy of experience and interview feedback. Our team hires on relevant (quality of) experience, not years (volume of) experience. Not sure if you qualify but interested and meet most of the key qualities listed above? Please apply.Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.