Senior Counsel (Product and Security) at Alteryx (Remote)
Alteryx is seeking a business-minded, technology focused attorney to support its Privacy team in the role of Senior Counsel, Privacy (Product and Security). You will leverage your expertise, good judgement and strong business sense to carry out the company's privacy program imperatives while assisting product, platform, engineering, data, security and other teams to develop thoughtful strategies towards product development and licensing while assessing and mitigating legal risk. You will have a deep understanding of the technical capabilities of Alteryx's products and the company's product roadmap, and will work closely with product and engineering leaders on various initiatives and related privacy compliance matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary legal advisor for product and engineering teams and help build scalable and effective review processes throughout the product development lifecycle, from initial idea to launch, while balancing the user experience and compliance considerations;
- Provide legal guidance to business stakeholders across various subject areas, including data protection/privacy regulations, internet laws and regulations, consumer protection laws, and other global legal frameworks;
- Lead compliance efforts with respect to global privacy and data security laws and other product- related regulations and industry standards, including supporting global security operations, with a focus on cloud offerings;
- Implement, maintain, govern, and provide guidance and training on the company's open source policies;
- Assist product owners with data mapping and documenting data privacy impact assessments and records of processing activities, updating risk registers, and developing risk mitigation plans as needed;
- Champion privacy within the business and incorporate privacy-by-design and privacy-by-default concepts into product roadmaps, and provide related training and self-service materials to product and engineering teams;
- Support go-to-market launch for cloud offerings and the creation and maintenance of associated governance documents and related contract templates, policies, procedures, and reporting requirements related to product security;
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to the product and engineering organizations to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests;
- Research, analyze, train, and provide legal direction to internal stakeholders on legal, regulatory, and compliance issues, including emerging product security and privacy issues impacting Alteryx products;
- Negotiate vendor and customer-facing agreements, including information security agreements, data processing agreements, technology license and similar agreements;
- Support the development and communication of product strategies regarding product technology features and security safeguards, applicable SDLC processes, privacy by design, and data governance to empower business stakeholders to communicate internally and externally; and
- Stay up-to-date on relevant state, federal, and international laws and regulations pertaining to privacy, cybersecurity, and data governance; identify and assess the potential impacts of emerging privacy and security regulations to Alteryx's business and product offerings (including related industry standards and best practices) and develop appropriate, corresponding compliance strategies.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong relationship-building, problem-solving, and collaboration skills and the ability to effectively influence and clearly communicate privacy-related concepts.
- Proven ability to successfully multi-task, remain responsive and agile to changes in business priorities, and to deliver pragmatic, risk-based recommendations to the business.
- Demonstrated ability to work and manage time spent on projects independently and with little supervision while performing duties with a high degree of accountability.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience interpreting and applying key global privacy regulations, product security and cybersecurity regulations, and related industry frameworks.
- Understanding of product and/or cybersecurity terms, concepts and methodologies and the ability to communicate and discuss technical concepts.
- Strong investigative and analytical skills.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR LICENSES:
- JD from a top law school; member of at least one state bar in good standing.
- Minimum of 8 years active practice in a legal counsel advisory role; minimum of 5 years direct experience in product, cybersecurity, or privacy law.
- Strong technical background and significant hands-on experience advising engineering and product teams on privacy and product related regulatory and compliance matters, including with respect to open source code and incorporating privacy and security into the SDLC.
- In-house experience with a global technology or telecommunications company preferred.
- Legal project management experience is helpful.
- Experience guiding teams on privacy and product matters pertaining to technology platforms is highly valued.
- A basic understanding of software engineering, and an ability to quickly learn new technology concepts, is desired.
- IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or willingness to complete such certification within a reasonable time following hire.
Find yourself checking a lot of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? At Alteryx, we support a growth mindset for our associates through all stages of their careers. If you meet some of the requirements and you share our values, we encourage you to apply. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we're invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences.
Benefits & Perks:
Alteryx has amazing benefits for all Associates which can be viewed here.