Senior Corporate Counsel at Fivetran
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
Want to have an impact at one of the fastest-growing unicorn companies in the Bay Area? Join the Legal team at Fivetran! Fivetran was recently named to the Cloud 100 list as one of the hottest cloud software companies today. We’re looking for a business-minded, detail-oriented, process-builder and educator to join our global SaaS company and growing legal team. Corporate focus, but so much more: this person will be a seasoned corporate lawyer but also a business builder, and will help operationalize our corporate processes across the board. This will include working deeply with and leading our corporate transactions, equity programs, and international subsidiary management work. This role can be based remotely, or out of one of Fivetran’s US offices (pending post-COVID return to work plans).
What you’ll work on: An unparalleled opportunity to bring not only your corporate transaction skills, but also your broader legal and business acumen to help us put in place processes that efficiently scale for the long term. This is a strategic role that will grow with the business, and advise on critical and broad-based areas of risk and opportunity. You’ll deep dive into our product and business model and bring this deep company knowledge into your work advising Fivetran on items big and small. Responsibilities may include:
- All the typical responsibilities you’d expect from this role, taking lead on all things related to typical corporate counsel portfolio (transactions, equity, corporate governance, and subsidiary management)
- Primary responsibilities for leading corporate transactions (M&A, debt, financing, secondaries, etc.) which may occur one-off or on a recurring basis, and working with Fivetran leadership to provide timely status updates and project management on the same
- On a day to day basis managing and upleveling our corporate governance, global equity programs, subsidiary management, and more
- Oversight for our global equity programs, including empowering our Equity Administrator, in all things related to equity (including equity templates, exercises, policies and practices as it relates to equity, and employee education related to equity), including working with Fivetran’s leadership and Compensation & Benefits team as it relates to existing and new equity processes
- Working closely with Fivetran’s Finance & Accounting teams on domestic and international tax matters as it relates to corporate governance, intercompany, and international subsidiary matters
- Creating and updating global expansion playbooks from a corporate governance perspective, to help drive alignment across the company on global expansion risks and opportunities
- Owning key template documents, including periodic revisions and improvements, and helping operationalize various corporate and related templates across the business
- Working collaboratively with and appropriately managing outside counsel, both domestic and international, on one-off and recurring legal projects and matters
- Other special projects given your interest areas and the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
What we’re looking for:
A process and detail-oriented corporate lawyer who is a mature communicator, leader, educator and builder as Fivetran scales to the next stages of corporate growth.
- Mature communication and problem solving skills necessary for a fast-growing company
- Experience working on complex securities law, corporate finance, corporate subsidiary, corporate governance, capital markets, strategic transactions, and other related areas while acting as lead legal advisor
- Ability to handle complex corporate matters with subject matter expertise in core areas, and the knowledge and experience to ask appropriate questions for areas outside of core areas of expertise
- Team orientation first and foremost, with leadership skills that contribute to maintaining a positive (and fun!) team and company culture
- Excellent judgment and integrity; ability to advise with nuance and a north star
- Business judgement to apply right-sized and risk-adjusted approaches
- Deep experience with companies of a similar size and stage; prior in-house experience preferred but not required
- Ability to work independently and closely manage multiple outside counsel across various time zones and deadlines, with the judgement to know when to outsource to outside counsel vs. make a call internally
- Curiosity that drives a desire to learn new contexts and communication styles; being self-motivated, creative and scrappy
- Comfort with fast-paced environments and openness to change
- Aptitude for working with diverse stakeholders and rolling with the punches
- A healthy sense of humor
- JD and admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction, with eligibility to become a registered in-house counsel in either California or Colorado
Who we are:
Data fuels powerful insights. We believe access to data should be as simple and reliable as utilities. We provide data power to companies big and small looking to extract their data from a variety of data sources, to be loaded into warehouses like Snowflake, Databricks, Amazon Redshift and more. Check out our customer stories to see how we help some of the world’s most innovative companies (including Docusign, Strava, and Donors Choose) superpower their data analytics capabilities with Fivetran’s modern data stack. Fivetran reached unicorn status in June 2020 when we raised a $100M Series C led by Andreessen Horowitz and General Catalyst. We power the modern data stack from our Oakland, CA headquarters with a global team grounded in integrity, initiative, and our ethos of “1 Team, 1 Dream.”
What you need to know: Title of the role to be based on relevancy of experience and interview feedback. Our team hires on relevant (quality of) experience, not years (volume of) experience. Not sure if you qualify but interested and meet most of the key qualities listed above? Please apply.Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.