Privacy and Compliance Manager at Sovrn
About the Team
The Legal & Compliance team seeks to support Sovrn growth by directing implementation of policies and procedures to ensure adherence with regulatory and industry standards. Our goal is to assess and address business risk, working cross-functionally across teams while subscribing to Sovrn mission and values.
About the Job
As Privacy and Compliance Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring that Sovrn’s operations and business transactions align with all legal requirements and regulatory frameworks that are applicable to Sovrn’s business. In addition, this role will oversee ongoing internal and external audit and compliance obligations. You must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment and acting as the main line of communication between Sovrn’s internal business teams.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develops, implements, and oversees control processes and systems to prevent violations of data and privacy laws and ensures Sovrn’s continued compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Understands the technologies that create privacy and data security challenges and keeps current on legislative, judicial and regulatory privacy and data security developments in order to understand and communicate the effect of such developments on Sovrn’s business.
- Develops and manages company training on data privacy requirements.
- Coordinates and project manages all internal privacy and regulatory initiatives, acting as the liaison between the Legal, Product, Engineering, Publisher Services, and AdOperations teams.
- Oversees the investigation of potential privacy incidents, complaints or breaches, including notifications and other resolution efforts.
- Ensures continued compliance with all applicable certifications and regulatory frameworks, such as TAG Compliance, EU U.S. Privacy Shield, DAA, and NAI, and participates in various working groups representing Sovrn's interests.
- Point of contact for all third party compliance audits.
- Communicates critical privacy and compliance matters to executive leadership, senior management and the rest of the organization on a regular basis; escalate issues accordingly via the appropriate channels.
- Partners with Product Management to integrate Sovrn’s privacy compliance and risk management objectives into the Company’s product strategy.
- Ensures accurate and timely implementation of policy rollouts, privacy reviews, privacy training, and policy enforcement.
- Negotiates contractual obligations related to privacy and data usage and ensures internal compliance with same.
- Maintains a strong understanding of the changing privacy regulations related to Sovrn’s business (such as GDPR, CCPA).
You are driven and have proven ability to efficiently manage a variety of projects with a timely, efficient manner with strong follow through skills. You have experience and expertise in data privacy and compliance, where you proactively give guidance to the business. You’re comfortable working with a wide variety of people, and respect the perspectives of those that disagree with you. Above all, you love learning, and sharing what you know.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree; or equivalent experience working in Privacy and Compliance
- Experience and expertise in implementing and managing company risk associated with data privacy regulations such as GDPR and CCPA and demonstrate a strong understanding of current and emerging privacy and data security laws in order to deliver relevant, proactive and actionable guidance to business partners
- Experience independently managing third-party audits
- The ability to efficiently identify, assess and prioritize risk, and manage risk accordingly in a fast-paced and quickly evolving business environment
- High attention to detail and be able to process a high volume of information quickly and accurately
- Proactively review current procedures and confidently make recommendations for improvements with consideration to stakeholders
- Prioritize and strategically work through tasks with appropriate and dedicated urgency
- Possess strong business acumen and the ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Self-starter and organized with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong problem solving skills with creative approaches.
- Clear, concise and engaging written and oral communicator
- Dangerously curious, not afraid to ask questions, learn about our business, our technology
- Ability to build trust-based relationships to build on a culture of compliance and serve as a dependable resource to team
- Juris Doctor degree and membership in at least one US state bar (CO preferred)
- CIPP/E Certification preferred
- Familiarity with current ad tech landscape and Sovrn’s place and value proposition in the market
- Specific knowledge/experience in ad serving and/or other advertising technology systems
Position Reports to: General Counsel
Publishers create the content the world depends on for education, entertainment, and commerce. Sovrn provides products and services to tens of thousands of online publishers to help them grow, operate their business, understand their readership, and manage consumer data. Sovrn is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, New York, and London.
With 10,000 customers deploying one or more products across 30,000 websites, Sovrn reaches 200M consumers across more than 3.5B pageviews everyday. Sovrn has been a leader in online publisher technology since its founding, and has been recognized by IAB, JICWEBS, and TAG for its role in combating advertising fraud and promoting pro-transparency initiatives. Sovrn is dedicated to helping content creators do more of what they love, and less of what they don’t.
Sovrn is an Equal Opportunity Employer!