Some roles may be remote (as stated in the Job Title). Remote roles can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
We are looking for a forward-thinking in-house Legal Counsel to join Guild Education’s growing team in downtown Denver. This individual will work closely with all business teams and will be responsible for a full range of legal matters that arise in connection with supporting Guild’s business. This position is best suited for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with a passion for making a difference in the lives of others by providing them with opportunities for advancement through education. This position requires at least 4 years of experience as an attorney and will be based in our Denver office.Responsibilities:
- Draft and negotiate complex legal agreements with sophisticated clients, including Fortune 100 companies, universities, colleges and other learning providers
- Project manage commercial contracting processes, including collaborating with internal and external clients and advising internal clients on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals
- Support Guild’s procurement activities, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements, including software licensing, digital services, support services, and nondisclosure agreements
- Support the development, management, implementation, and continuous improvement of legal processes and standard form agreements and policies
- Monitor and research applicable legislative and regulatory developments that could impact Guild and our industry partners, and translate that into practical advice to help Guild and our partners proactively anticipate and resolve legal and other compliance issues
- Develop and foster strong working relationships with internal business clients, customers, vendors, and other third parties and their associated legal counsel
- Recommend and assist in developing risk-management processes and procedures
- Assist in the development and provision of legal training programs on legal processes, company policies, and other legal topics
- Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado
- 4+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department
- Experience focused on drafting, negotiating, and interpreting a broad range of commercial agreements
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex matters and concisely and clearly convey advice through easily understandable written communications for a wide range of constituencies within the company
- Highly organized with the ability to manage simultaneous projects, prioritize and manage work consistent with the company’s business objectives and requirements, and meet deadlines
- Collaborative nature with strong partnering skills across all levels of internal and external clients
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication and skills
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, high-performing, collegial, business results-driven environment
- Business-minded with a demonstrated ability to identify legal and business issues, balance risks, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a fast-paced business environment
- Strong work ethic coupled with the ability to consistently maintain high service quality, efficiency, and ethical standards
- Ability to work independently and respond promptly to requests in a team environment
- Technology / software industry experience preferred
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $130,000-$160,000, variable compensation eligibility as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.