Legal Counsel at Guild Education
We are looking for a forward-thinking in-house Legal Counsel to join Guild Education’s growing team in downtown Denver. This individual will work closely with all business teams (including HR, finance, student success, technology & payments, information & security, sales & marketing, etc.) and will be responsible for a full range of legal matters that arise in connection with supporting Guild’s business. This position is best suited for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with a passion for making a difference in the lives of others by providing them with opportunities for advancement through education. This position requires at least 4 years of experience as an attorney and will be based in our Denver office.
As Legal Counsel, you will:
- Support the development, management, implementation, and continuous improvement of legal processes and standard form agreements and policies, including all employment-related agreements and policies
- Support Guild’s procurement activities, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements, including software licensing, digital services, support services, and nondisclosure agreements
- Partner with HR and key business stakeholders and provide guidance on a variety of employment law matters, including recruiting, hiring, employee relations, performance counseling, discipline and terminations, investigations, employment claims, wage and hour issues, immigration, restrictive covenants, and leave issues under federal and state laws
- Monitor and research applicable legislative and regulatory developments that could impact Guild and our industry partners, and translate that into practical advice to help Guild and our partners proactively anticipate and resolve legal and other compliance issues
- Provide privacy and data protection guidance to Guild business functions and assist Guild’s Information and Security team with maintaining current privacy and data handling notices, policies, playbooks and other materials supporting Guild’s privacy program
- Develop and foster strong working relationships with internal business clients, customers, vendors, and other third parties and their associated legal counsel
- Recommend and assist in developing risk-management processes and procedures
- Assist in the development and provision of legal training programs on legal processes, company policies, and other legal topics
- Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado
- 4+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department
- Experience focused on drafting, negotiating, and interpreting a broad range of commercial agreements
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex matters and concisely and clearly convey advice through easily understandable written communications for a wide range of constituencies within the company
- Highly organized with the ability to manage simultaneous projects, prioritize and manage work consistent with the company’s business objectives and requirements, and meet deadlines
- Collaborative nature with strong partnering skills across all levels of internal and external clients
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication and skills
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, high-performing, collegial, business results-driven environment
- Business-minded with a demonstrated ability to identify legal and business issues, balance risks, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a fast-paced business environment
- Strong work ethic coupled with the ability to consistently maintain high service quality, efficiency, and ethical standards
- Ability to work independently and respond promptly to requests in a team environment
- Helpful: experience in employment law
- Helpful: technology / software industry experience preferred
- Helpful: working knowledge of US privacy laws and/or experience with data privacy and data governance
Guild’s mission is to unlock opportunity for America’s workforce, through education. We are increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education and upskilling to their employees via our learning marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform ensures employees no longer have to pay upfront for their corporate education, and helps employers facilitate the administration of this innovative benefit. Our technology and coaching also ensure that each employee can navigate the path back to school as a working adult, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We also recently became one of the few female-led companies to hit a $1billion valuation and the only B-corp with those qualifications. Our recent Series D round raised $157M, led by Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $130,000-$160,000 as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for your future
- 3 weeks of vacation in your first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help you recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, so that you can take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth