General Counsel (Remote) at Guild (Greater Denver Area, CO)
For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 28 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild is hiring a General Counsel, who will be a critical member of the executive team and chief counsel to the CEO. In addition to building and leading a legal team, General Counsel will play a key role in building and influencing government affairs and policy decisions related to the business. In this leadership role, this person will have a front row seat in establishing legal precedent around the many novel issues raised by being in a public benefit corporation.
Reporting to our CEO, Rachel Romer, this person will also work closely with outstanding colleagues including Natalie McCullough, Bijal Shah, Lorna Hagen, Chris Garber, Greg Siegel, and other hard-working and inspiring teammates at Guild.
- Lead teams that are responsible for public policy, regulatory, government affairs, compliance, and corporate contracting
- Lead all aspects of matters related to M&A transactions; supervise the drafting and negotiating of strategic contracts and service agreements and review a broad range of other contracts
- Take lead for all global privacy and data protection concerns; will oversee privacy/data protection programs
- Be responsible for and lead litigation
- Orchestrate legislative advocacy, strategic planning and representation before executive agencies on a range of policy matters
- Manage trademark portfolio and defense of trademarks, patent portfolio management and licensing
- Review of all marketing messaging, including ad copies, surveys and terms and conditions
- Serve as lead for supervising legal regulatory matters
- Maintain corporate records and all other aspects of corporate compliance
- Counsel on employee matters (e.g., employee agreements, consulting agreements, employee benefits, stock options, executive compensation and other employment issues)
- Corporate transactional experience in an in-house environment, including direct management of others and of outside counsel; government experience and/or expertise on issues regulated at a federal level is ideal
- Hands-on executive leadership, with experience leading public policy teams or issues; and experience in assembling, structuring, and leading outstanding legal teams
- Experience at a high-growth, later stage start-up; experience leading an IPO is a plus
- Demonstrated success in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with a wide range of legal matters
- Track record of successful cross-functional collaboration with organizations
- An ability to balance opposing stakeholder needs, including shifting priorities and interests of those multiple stakeholders
- Experience in managing sophisticated, high-quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Analytical and data-driven approach to business decisions; ability to think deep and quantitatively about business problems and solutions
- Excellent written & verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong eye for business and strategic, innovative thinking
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $325,000 - $400,000, as well as company stock options.
At Guild, we unlock the talent and economic potential of America’s workforce for employees and their companies. We partner with the nation’s largest employers—including Walmart, Chipotle, Discover, Hilton, Macy’s, Target, and The Walt Disney Company—to create cultures of opportunity that help them attract and retain top talent, while building the workforce of the future from within. By using our proprietary Career Opportunity Platform to develop education and learning programs that work in the real-world, thousands of employees at those companies have gained the skills, knowledge, and guidance they need to build a brighter future for themselves and their families—all without paying for tuition or career services on their own.
Guild is female-founded and a certified B Corp. The company has been named to the TIME100 Most Influential Companies of 2022 list, CNBC Disruptor50 list three years in a row, Inc. Best Led Companies list, Fast Co. World Changing Ideas list and the B Lab Best for the World list among many others.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- Open vacation policy for employees to rest and recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.