For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is hiring a General Counsel, who will be a critical member of the executive team and chief counsel to the CEO. In addition to building and leading a legal team, General Counsel will play a key role in building and influencing government affairs and policy decisions related to the business. In this leadership role, this person will have a front row seat in establishing legal precedent around the many novel issues raised by being in a public benefit corporation.
Reporting to our CEO, Rachel Carlson, this person will also work closely with outstanding colleagues including Natalie McCullough, Bijal Shah, Lorna Hagen, Paul Freedman, Chris Garber, Greg Siegel, and other hard-working and inspiring teammates at Guild.
- Lead teams that are responsible for public policy, regulatory, government affairs, compliance, and corporate contracting
- Lead all aspects of matters related to M&A transactions; supervise the drafting and negotiating of strategic contracts and service agreements and review a broad range of other contracts
- Take lead for all global privacy and data protection concerns; will oversee privacy/data protection programs
- Be responsible for and lead litigation
- Orchestrate legislative advocacy, strategic planning and representation before executive agencies on a range of policy matters
- Manage trademark portfolio and defense of trademarks, patent portfolio management and licensing
- Review of all marketing messaging, including ad copies, surveys and terms and conditions
- Serve as lead for supervising legal regulatory matters
- Maintain corporate records and all other aspects of corporate compliance
- Counsel on employee matters (e.g., employee agreements, consulting agreements, employee benefits, stock options, executive compensation and other employment issues)
- Corporate transactional experience in an in-house environment, including direct management of others and of outside counsel; government experience and/or expertise on issues regulated at a federal level is ideal
- Hands-on executive leadership, with experience leading public policy teams or issues; and experience in assembling, structuring, and leading outstanding legal teams
- Experience at a high-growth, later stage start-up; experience leading an IPO is a plus
- Demonstrated success in a dynamic environment
- Familiarity with a wide range of legal matters
- Track record of successful cross-functional collaboration with organizations
- An ability to balance opposing stakeholder needs, including shifting priorities and interests of those multiple stakeholders
- Experience in managing sophisticated, high-quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Analytical and data-driven approach to business decisions; ability to think deep and quantitatively about business problems and solutions
- Excellent written & verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong eye for business and strategic, innovative thinking
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $325,000 - $381,250, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 15 days of PTO/vacation in the first year. After your first year (or for Guilders in Director+ positions), you transition into an open vacation policy.
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.