Commercial Procurement Attorney at Invitae (Remote)
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is growing rapidly, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us.
We are looking for a commercial procurement attorney to join our growing legal team. This individual will work on a wide range of matters, including commercial procurement contracting activities. This position reports directly to the General Counsel.
What you'll do:
- Assist in areas related to the company’s commercial procurement operations and contracting activities
- Support our procurement, supplier, vendor onboarding, and contracting processes from a legal perspective
- Reviewing, drafting, structuring, and negotiating a wide range of commercial and procurement contracts or other legal documentation, including, without limitation, master services agreements, quality services support, SaaS agreements and software licenses, NDAs, MTAs, with customers, suppliers and those who desire to contract with our company
- Negotiate agreements that align with Invitae's policies and risk tolerance
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes
- Perform legal research and assist with continuous improvement of templates and maintaining commercial playbooks and template clause libraries, including talking points for internal teams to use
- Partner with internal clients to understand business challenges and provide compliance guidance, counseling, and solutions to address challenges
- Conduct training and education on contracting processes and risk
- Work closely with other members of the legal team to support Invitae initiatives
- Ensure alignment of legal advice and consistency across all collaborators
- Manage outside counsel in all appropriate subject matters
- Perform other special assignments, strategic projects or duties as needed
What you bring:
- Deep legal experience in a law firm or in-house
- A Juris Doctor (JD) and bar admission in good standing
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with software licensing, SaaS, commercial transactions, drafting agreements
- Experience with data privacy issues in general as well in the healthcare industry
- Good judgment, risk management skills and ability to balance business needs, regulatory obligations and reputational risks in a practical way
- Proven track record of collaborating, as well as working independently, balancing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a high level of professionalism and integrity
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve built a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.