Associate General Counsel at DispatchHealth
The associate general counsel will be part of a two attorney, one paralegal legal department, focusing on HIPAA/Privacy, compliance, contracting and health care regulatory matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
HIPAA and Compliance:
- Serve as HIPAA/privacy subject matter expert on assigned matters and projects to support the Office of General Counsel, Privacy Officer, and Security Officer.
- Develop and maintain a HIPAA-compliant privacy program in collaboration with the Privacy and Security Officers.
- Ensure the protection of patients’ rights in accordance with federal and state laws.
- Keep up to date with pertinent state and federal laws.
- Interface with various company departments on HIPAA/privacy and related issues.
- Review/negotiate data sharing arrangements with third parties including health systems, payors and others.
- Lead BAA management and PHI disclosure functions, including compliance review of record requests.
- Participate in corporate compliance processes and committees.
- Interact on a regular and collaborative basis with General Counsel, technology/IT, product, and other business unit leaders.
Contracting and Health Care Regulatory:
- Draft/review/revise and negotiate vendor contracts including technology, service and other arrangements to support company business operations.
- Lead implementation and management of operational contracting for multiple company subsidiaries.
- Research and provide guidance regarding health care regulatory, business, IP and other legal matters.
- Monitor regulatory compliance requirements as applied to company business models and implement systems to promote on-going compliance.
- Collaborate with General Counsel regarding contractual, regulatory, compliance and other matters based on need.
- Interact with outside legal counsel as needed in connection with specialized needs.
- Participate in continuing legal education, as approved.
- Special projects and other duties, as assigned.
- Juris Doctor Degree (JD) from accredited law school.
- At least one state bar admission and in good standing, State of Colorado (preferred).
- Four to six years of HIPAA/health care related experience in law firm or inhouse setting (performing same or similar duties and responsibilities listed above).
- High-level analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize responsibilities, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Ability to function independently and as a part of a team.
- Proactive, customer service attitude when dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with rapidly evolving priorities and workflows.
- Able to work whenever needed to assist in time-sensitive matters.
Sedentary- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently. A sedentary job involves sitting most of the time.