Assistant General Counsel
SALT Lending is looking for an experienced Assistant General Counsel. The successful candidate will drive SALT’s technology licensing and international expansion, intelligently managing risk and shaping strategy as they go. This is a fantastic opportunity for a hands-on professional who thrives in a busy work place, is looking to help build out a team and wants to take ownership of their role. The ideal person has experience at a regulated financial institution and/or strong technology licensing experience.
SALT Lending operates a blockchain-based platform built on the Ethereum network that facilitates the issuance of multi-signature smart contract loans by connecting borrowers to lenders. The company encompasses several business divisions, that includes an innovative loan servicing platform, online marketplace, and asset management unit. In addition, SALT Lending will engage with the underbanked community worldwide by funding a financial inclusion initiative.
Reporting to the Head of Legal and Regulatory, the Assistant General Counsel will play an important role in supporting corporate strategic projects.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Provide strategic legal support for U.S. and global commercial transactions such as M&A, capital markets and joint venture agreements
- Drive day-to-day transactions such as vendor agreements, real estate contracts, employment agreements and fund management agreements
- Identify and pursue actionable solutions to meet business objectives, while eliminating or mitigating risks
- Structure, draft, negotiate and support complex, time-sensitive, commercial transactions. Contracts include strategic alliances, international licensing, in-bound and out-bound technology, highly regulated partnering agreements with financial institutions, as well as marketing and sales agreements
- Assist with build out of legal department - attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance from team
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Base the decision-making process on ethics and integrity
- Foster positive relationships with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients)
- Keep abreast of legislative changes
- This role will support multiple business units located in the United States (solely Denver at this time) and other geographies as our international operations develop
Candidates for the position should have the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of total experience, including several years in-house primarily in either licensing and commercial transactions for software companies or in financial services
- Significant experience in the following substantive areas of law: US and international financial regulations, lending laws, commercial transactions, software, technology / IP licensing, consumer protection, privacy and data protection
- Ability to prioritize work and perform with minimal supervision on all legal support and project responsibilities
- Experience providing global legal support and international contracting
- Commercial mindset; Strategic, detail oriented, yet able to see the big picture and comfortable balancing risk and opportunity to enable smart decisions
- Superior communication, drafting and negotiation skills
- Excellent training and project management skills
- Strong technology and financial regulatory acumen is a plus
- Impeccable analytical and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work well in a team and with people in other functions, to multi-task and to thrive in an unstructured environment
- Strong project management skills including ability to drive multiple end-to-end projects simultaneously
- Interest in cryptocurrencies and financial technology
- Fun, outgoing, and easy to work with
Job Type: Full Time.