Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern – Telecom Subsystem, Space Vehicles
Join the Space Vehicle Systems Engineering Telecommunications team at Ball Aerospace - a diverse group of motivated problem solvers faced with the daily challenge of ensuring communications to and from space vehicles. We're excited about the projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
We're seeking an independent, action-oriented technical intern to support telecom subsystem design, development, integration, and test throughout the lifecycle of space vehicle (SV) development for major programs. A telecom subsystem may be an entire communications payload or a subassembly to carry tracking, telemetry, command, and instrument data between a space vehicle and relays or ground stations.
Make a difference. Love what you do. Realize your full potential.
What You'll Do:
- Support the subsystem technical team.
- Learn about architectures and support trade studies to appropriately scope subsystem design, assembly, integration, test, launch and early operation (LEOPS) for proposals or studies.
- Understand, define, and manage subsystem requirements.
- Understand, define, and manage internal/external interfaces.
- Report cost, schedule, and technical status to internal/external customers.
- Define, quantify, manage, and report technical risks.
- Provide and/or support engineering analyses to demonstrate adequate subsystem performance and to verify satisfaction of technical requirements (Ex: link budgets, pointing accuracy, component performance, etc).
- Support subsystem and program milestones/gates with appropriate analyses, presentations, and coordination.
- Support identification, procurement, development, test, and integration of hardware, software, and support equipment.
- Manage an incremental assembly, integration, and test strategy to adequately demonstrate subsystem compliance to requirements and interface integrity.
- Support systems-level engineering trades.
- Support LEOPS, on-orbit test, and post-delivery plans and execution.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2022. We will also accept students enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Microwave, radio frequency, and/or optical telecom hardware experience or coursework preferred.
- Strong customer service, accountability, professionalism, and interpersonal skill.
- Strong critical thinking skills that result in effective decision making and priority setting.
- Drive for results and executional excellence.
- Team building skills with a player/coach mindset.
- Attention to detail that leads to complete, high-quality engineering products.
- Space hardware experience preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 - $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.