Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
Technical Intern - Cryogenics Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Assist cryogenics and/or thermal engineers in spacecraft and/or instrument component thermal design, analysis, hardware testing, and/or laboratory research.
- Build upon university acquired knowledge to solve thermal problems.
- Modeling tasks may include steady state and transient thermal math modeling, computation of heat transfer coefficients, and heat flow calculations.
- Work may also include written documentation of work, presentations to customers and/or program team and development of engineering reports and/or test procedures.
- Build strong, positive working relationships with supervisor and team members/coworkers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2022. We will also accept students enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related degree fields preferred.
- Interest in aerospace and cryogenic/thermal engineering.
- Foundation in/knowledge of heat transfer and thermodynamics.
- Strong analytic capabilities.
- Display curiosity and seek out opportunities to learn.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Gather and analyze information from a diverse set of sources and individuals to fully understand a problem.
- Use innovative thinking to go beyond traditional methods.
- Demonstrated interest in design and analysis through school projects or hobbies.
- Good interpersonal skills as well as the ability and desire to work effectively in a team environment.
- Communicate in a clear and organized manner so that others can effectively understand.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 - $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.