Intern - Cloud Based Devops
Please review the job details below.
This internship opportunity will allow students interested in software systems and devops to work with the GBDX core team as it develops and evolves the GBDX platform's infrastructure and deployment systems.
About the Company:
DigitalGlobe is the world’s leading provider of commercial high-resolution Earth imagery, data and analysis. Our Geospatial Big Data Platform (GBDX) enables imagery intelligence at scale, giving our customers the information they need to make critical decisions. Unmatched imagery quality, global coverage, and actionable analytics make us a trusted partner worldwide. The GBDX mission is to take our entire 100 petabyte, 17-year archive of satellite imagery, and make it available through the cloud for real-time scalable discovery, access, and compute. This new ecosystem is where data science meets computer vision, image mining, and geospatial analysis in order to answer intelligence questions on a global scale.
About the team:
The GBDX Core team builds and operates the underlying services that make up the GBDX Platform & ecosystem that supports a host of geospatial and machine learning software solutions. The services we build & deploy are highly robust & scalable, manipulate petabytes of satellite imagery, and enable 3rd party developers to build & deploy algorithms on our platform. The system is built on Amazon Web Services and we focus on ease-of-use, simplicity, and execution.
Intern will learn and be exposed to:
- Real world knowledge of working with a development team and producing usable systems and services
- Extensive practical experience working with AWS web services
- Daily exposure to professional tools and methods for cloud based devops
- Develop an understanding of the project and how it will fit into our systems
- Assist in brainstorming and idea planning
- Develop, deploy and test a working system
- Demonstrate the system during the GBDX platform's technical demo sessions
- Write user/how-to guides for the usage of the system
- Must be self motivated, organized, and possess good abilities to communicate ideas
- Experience with some of the below:
- AWS Web Services
- web applications
- micro services with RESTful interfaces
- source control systems like Git, Perforce or SVC
- build, CI/CD or deployment systems like Jenkins, Travis CI or Team Foundation Server
- Unix administration and shell scripting
- Python scripting
- Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Software Engineering or other technical field from an accredited college/university
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
Devops project - Implement a proxy system using AWS API Gateway
The GBDX platform has a proxy frontend that takes our incoming HTTP traffic and routes it to the appropriate backend service. The goal of this project would be to replace the existing Kong based load-balanced proxy with an implementation in AWS API Gateway. The scope of this project will include the deployment, configuration, testing and monitoring of the proxy system.
Devops project - Analyse AWS logs
Analyse AWS based logs like AWS VPC Flow logs or AWS S3 access logs for usage metrics. Prepare and transform the log information for inclusion into our data warehouse for report generation and Analysis. Participate with the various stake holders in defining the data specification for use in the data warehouse Use systems like AWS Lambda, Glue and Athena to convert the data to the specification. Build the systems needed and all the deployment and monitoring gear, test the system to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the data and document and present the system.
Devops project - Utilize AWS Code Build to produce the GBDX platform's build packages
Utilize AWS's CodeBuild service to manage source code building, running of tests and production of software packages and artefacts ready for deployment. Utilize and convert the existing Jenkins based build project for use with Amazon CodeBuild. Understand how to trigger the builds based on Git check-ins and how to monitor the system for errors. Generate reports on the successes and failures of the system and build a dashboard to notify developers of the status of the build processes.
Devops project - Dockerize our test suite and run it in part or full from automated systems
GBDX has an extensive suite of tests that exercises the full platform system. Take the suite and dockerize it for running on a container based system. Create the surrounding infrastructure for running the tests in part or in whole. Trigger the testing to be run when components are successfully deployed. Generate the test reports and transfer them to S3 for centralized reporting and monitoring.
DigitalGlobe and Radiant solutions offer a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.