Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriter requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
As we scale our fast-growing business, our team is evolving our underwriting guidelines and processes, finding and achieving new efficiencies every day. This evolution demands flexibility in our thinking and a constant, pragmatic refinement in how we interact with our customers and evaluate their businesses. To be successful in this role, we balance a service orientation with a closing mentality, evaluating the risk of our customers’ businesses while building a robust portfolio.
Our Underwriters are on the front lines, interacting with our customers all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation. The average day in the life of a Pie Underwriter - today - involves a high volume of daily transactions ranging from making underwriting decisions to issuing a certificate of insurance. We expect your role will evolve quickly as Pie grows.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
This role will work in our Denver or DC office once our office re-opens. However, we will consider this role for continued remote work in the United States once our offices reopen with up to 10% travel to Denver and/or DC.
How You'll Do It
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess medium to complex risks in order to underwrite and bind new and renewal coverage.
- Quickly and effectively decision each request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Achieve profitable growth through appropriate risk evaluation while building and maintaining outstanding customer relationships.
- Prioritize and resolve customer inquiries for documentation or support.
- Provides technical assistance to the sales team and customers regarding policy and endorsement provisions and underwriting acceptability for designated insurance coverages.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Participate in review and evaluation of risk portfolio, making recommendations on book management issues.
- Take on other tasks, responsibilities and projects as needed.
The Right Stuff
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of workers’ compensation class codes
- Ability to sell our product while simultaneously discerning risk characteristics within the direct to business market.
- Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of transactions
- You’ll constantly use Insurity, HubSpot and possibly also Salesforce, so prior experience with those systems are helpful
- You’ll also be verifying businesses using Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites, so comfort navigating those is a must
- Active license – or ability to quickly obtain it – is preferred
- Experience underwriting insurance for small businesses, our primary audience, is helpful
- Strong expertise in the California workers' compensation market is a huge plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $64,000 - $100,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding