Underwriter, Workers' Compensation
Greater Denver Area
Establish Pie as a top 10 commercial insurer among small business owners by providing our customers with an outstanding shopping experience while building a robust portfolio.
How You’ll Do It
Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriter requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
As we scale our fast-growing business, our team is evolving our underwriting guidelines and processes, finding and achieving new efficiencies every day. This evolution demands flexibility in our thinking and a constant, pragmatic refinement in how we interact with our customers and evaluate their businesses. To be successful in this role, we balance a service orientation with a closing mentality, evaluating the risk of our customers’ businesses while building a robust portfolio.
Our Underwriters are on the front lines, interacting with our customers all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation. The average day in the life of a Pie Underwriter - today - involves a high volume of daily transactions ranging from making underwriting decisions to issuing a certificate of insurance. We expect your role will evolve quickly as Pie grows.
Whether It's Right For You
You will be joining our team in our Denver office. Pie are a start-up. All hands and minds are needed. That means we need our Underwriter to be production-focused, executing on inbound leads with a sales orientation while building a robust portfolio.
This is an experienced role requiring at least three (3) years of prior underwriting experience and offers long-term leadership potential as our team grows. Prior experience underwriting workers' compensation is required.
The Day to Day
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess medium to complex risks in order to underwrite and bind new and renewal coverage.
- Quickly and effectively decision each request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Achieve profitable growth through appropriate risk evaluation while building and maintaining outstanding customer relationships.
- Prioritize and resolve customer inquiries for documentation or support.
- Provides technical assistance to sales team and customers regarding policy and endorsement provisions and underwriting acceptability for designated insurance coverages.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Participate in review and evaluation of risk portfolio, making recommendations on book management issues.
- Take on other tasks, responsibilities and projects as needed.
The Right Stuff
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of workers’ compensation class codes
- Ability to sell our product while simultaneously discerning risk characteristics within the direct to business market.
- Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of transactions
- You’ll constantly use Insurity, HubSpot and possibly also Salesforce, so prior experience with those systems are helpful
- You’ll also be verifying businesses using Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites, so comfort navigating those is a must
- Active license – or ability to quickly obtain it – is required
- Experience underwriting insurance for small businesses, our primary audience, is helpful
- Strong expertise in the California workers' compensation market is a huge plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Working at Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing insurtech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description