Senior Compensation Manager at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
This is an exciting time to join Checkr as we build a People function for scale. Be a part of a mission-driven company that is passionate about employee experience. Lead the effort to build innovative and creative compensation solutions. We’re looking for someone with a deep compensation background who is passionate about design, analysis, and solving challenging business programs. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic professional with a knack for delivering results and thrives in a very fast-paced environment. The Senior Compensation Manager will help craft Checkr’s total rewards philosophy and approach.
The ability to communicate, prioritize, and influence across different groups is a must. High competence in the use of analytical tools and industry practices is required. The desire to deliver creative solutions, optimize efficiencies, and deliver consistent results and scalable solutions is paramount.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Lead the creation of Checkr’s compensation philosophy and framework
- Partner with Sales and Finance on the creation and management of variable compensation programs
- Remain current on compensation technical solutions and market competitive practices
- Introduce innovative solutions to enhance internal programs
- Effectively partner with the People, Talent, and the business leaders to manage, consult and resolve compensation issues through the use of creative and strategic guidance
- Participate in the development of compensation communications to ensure that leaders and employees have the right level of knowledge
- Design, develop, and maintain total compensation guidelines and job architecture structures
- Drive the development, implementation, and maintenance of compensation tools and systems
- Lead the bi-annual compensation planning cycles with strong People team partnerships and project management
- Build compensation SOX ready processes and procedures
- Drive the preparation of analysis and materials for the board, executive management review meetings, and other leadership presentations
- Collect and analyze market data and maintain salary survey data; manage all benchmarking activity
- Being an expert of major external survey methodologies and have deep insights in market data utilization globally
What we value in a Compensation Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent; master’s degree or equivalent a plus
- At least 9 years of progressive global compensation management experiences with increasing levels of responsibility in identifying, consulting, designing, recommending, and implementing efficient, innovative business solutions to clients' challenges
- At least 5 years of experience with overseeing system configuration, implementation, and management of compensation tools
- Previous experience at high growth technology companies preferred
- At least 5 years of sales and MBO design experience an absolute requirement
- At least 5 years of experience leading an end-to-end global compensation planning processes a must
- Outstanding analytical capabilities, experience with data and interfacing between HRIS applications
- Equity (e.g., RSU and options) experience a must
- Proven financial and compensation modeling skills and ability to communicate persuasively with business partners to resolve highly complex problems
- Work independently to drive and manage global projects across multiple functions and client groups, utilizing subject matter expertise and knowledge of both internal and external business practices
- Excellent business acumen and judgment; strong team orientation with a collaborative style
- Ability to manage change effectively always mindful of technology and business processes implications
- Experiences with advanced compensation planning technology development and implementation
- Advanced Excel skills is a must
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).