Head of Diversity and Belonging
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. This mission applies not only to the small businesses we serve, but also the people who work here. Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. For us, redefining HR starts at home.
Do you love being a strategic partner to leaders and supporting them in developing teams to achieve (and exceed) their goals? We’re seeking a thoughtful leader to build and own Gusto’s Diversity & Belonging program! As a founding member of the team, you will set the vision and strategy for Diversity & Belonging at Gusto, as well as partner directly with our leadership team.
As we set out to reimagine HR for our customers, Gusto strives to walk the talk. To build the best product for millions of small businesses across the country, our company needs to reflect their diversity. That’s why our People team invests in crafting an environment where everyone feels that they can do the best work of their lives. Our burgeoning Diversity and Belonging program is a core part of living up to that aspiration, whether we’re investing in recruiting candidates from underrepresented groups or creating an environment where all employees feel comfortable and safe expressing unique identities. This role is an opportunity to be a true leader in our organization, with a high level of responsibility as well the full support of our executive team. The position is full-time and based in either Denver or San Francisco.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Be a strategic, data-informed partner
- With leaders, advise on / co-create People strategies that anticipate upcoming and longer-term growth and changes that align to business plans and overall visions
- Anticipate team development needs and recommend feasible, impactful solutions based on data before they impact the business
- Analyze our existing data and use those insights to optimize how we invest in programs
- Steward programs, policies, and culture
- Own and drive our diversity & belonging programs across the company
- Be the leadership team liaison to all employee affinity groups, such as Women with Gusto, Gaystos, and Gusto Swirl (People of Color at Gusto)
- Partner with our Communications team on internal and external narratives as the primary spokesperson for Gusto’s Diversity & Belonging program
- Facilitate a holistic People experience
- Ensure People programs and best practices are well-communicated and widely adopted
- Work closely with the rest of the People team and other functions in Gusto to create a consistent Gustie experience that reflects our culture
- Gather best practices from across the organization to continuously iterate and improve on programs
- Build a team!
Here’s what we're looking for:
- You have 15+ years of professional experience, with 3+ years working with senior executives in a client-facing, consulting role on Diversity & Belonging programs
- You are highly conscious of racial, gender, and other diversity issues and have strong knowledge of social power dynamics and ways to shift systemic inequities
- The mission of Gusto inspires you like nothing has moved you before and you deeply believe in Gusto’s product, trajectory, and culture
- You are respected for being a thoughtful, smart, humble individual — you know how to drive consensus among leaders with a wide range of opinions and working styles
- You love fast-paced, get-stuff-done environments that complement your ability to prioritize and use data to inform your decisions
- You maintain discretion and are sought out as a trusted confidante
- You effectively connect data points to assess issues, navigate leaders through organizational changes, and solve problems creatively
- Communication skills (written, verbal, visual) are like breathing for you
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.