Director/Senior Director of People
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!).
The Director/Sr. Director will lead HR Operations at Guild and will have the chance to impact every team member’s experience now and over time. It’s the opportunity to create, innovate and test new ideas so that we have a strong HR foundation that responds to and evolves with the unique changes and opportunities Guild and our team will encounter as we grow and succeed together.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace will look a little like this:
- Connecting across the team in 1:1 or group settings - helping them navigate the questions (strategic and tactical), challenges and possibilities associated with being a part of our team
- Developing new programs (e.g. DEI practice, benefit strategy, employee relations, compensation) that support our team’s ability to not only do their work better, but to learn, engage and connect more with one another at Guild and with our mission and students
- Managing, updating and analyzing the information and data in our HR systems so that those insights can be used to inform future decisions and work
- Making decisions about the technology, benefits and experiences that will lay the foundation for the HR organization
- Asking the questions that will help you help the team continuously improve our outcomes
In this role, you’ll bring skills and expand your expertise by:
- Taking on a cross-functional role that will expose you to the ins and outs of Guild - you’ll have to interact with everyone on our team
- Bringing HR expertise into the mix while rapidly prototyping new strategies, iterating and testing new ways to do HR that leave the bureaucracy behind
- Showing leadership by solving unique, complex problems across our teams and HR programs - this isn’t a role where you’ll recycle the same process or program year after year
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Becoming a trusted partner that people proactively engage to plan and problem solve
- Implementing the HR tools and technology to streamline, make more efficient and provide scalable infrastructure for the HR org long term
- Building, vetting and initiating a comprehensive HR Ops Roadmap
- Receiving feedback through our learning-focused twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll join a team:
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a success, high-growth company.
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild - as an individual and part of the broader team:
- A desire to do things differently and better within HR with the best interests of Guild and our team in mind while championing and embodying our culture, mission and values
- PHR, SPHR or similar certification or equivalent work experience
- Organization - the ability to critically think through diverse situations and develop process, documentation or other resources
- Communication skills regardless of the medium – able to craft effective and engaging emails, presentations, and resources/documents
- A sense of urgency and motivation to deliver great results with precision and business/team context in mind. You keep great records, stay on top of all tasks and deliverables, and have excellent follow-through – balancing diverse tasks, addressing long term initiatives while also responding to the urgent
- A team-oriented mindset – you enjoy getting to know team members and would do any and every task to support our collective success
- Ability to be professional in hard situations, maintain situational and contextual privacy/confidentiality while also sustaining a reputation for being a trustworthy good listener
- Ability to interact with internal and external contacts regardless of level in a way that engenders confidence and demonstrates a commitment to exceptional “customer service”
- Evidence of your intellectual curiosity in the space - do you blog, tweet, speak or read everything that’s out there - tell us more!
- Leadership experience managing complex problems, processes, projects and people
- A drive to work hard and a plan for how you can refresh and recharge while working in a startup
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!