Director, People Experience
Small business makes the world go 'round – it's the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
How you'll make an impact
Xero is looking for a People Experience Lead who will be accountable for the delivery of Human Resource functions across our US region. The People Experience Lead will also be responsible for the talent strategy and working with the global Talent Experience (TX) team, and Talent Manager, to ensure recruitment priorities are met. This role requires a strong technical people leader, as well as general HR specialist skills, as the person will hold a Business Partnering (BP) portfolio. The People Experience lead will also function as a coach and mentor to the People Experience team. This is a leadership role and a hands-on role at the same time. We want someone who loves working within the business as well as mentoring, coaching and growing the team.
The People Experience Lead will work as part of the wider Global People Experience team and ensure the US team is linked with the programs and projects needed to support our region.
Driving and leading our team principles, you will shape a team that embodies:
- Doing the fundamentals flawlessly. Our ability to add strategic value, build trust and be regarded as credible is built on our flawless delivery of the fundamentals.
- One team, with functional experts. We are one team, part of a global function, who have clear roles and responsibilities. Geographically agnostic we work consistently across our sites. Our customers know how we work, what to expect from us and who to engage with.
- Commercial, data driven and #Human. We will broadly understand our business and the specifics of the teams we partner with. This will extend past the people aspects and include our business models, finance and operations. We need to understand the context of our actions and decisions and our customers need to trust we know their business as well as they do. We will use data to inform our actions, plans and activity - we will be strategic in our tactics. Above all we will be #Human.
- Role models of our values, behaviors and practices. We will hold ourselves to a higher bar, we are an example to our colleagues.
What you'll do
- Be crystal clear on our strategy and how we work, at a global and local level to deliver #Beautiful service across the USA
- Be a hands-on Member of the USA Country Manager's Leadership team
- Ensuring our customers are clear on how we work and understand what to expect from us
- Identify our unique skills and team gaps, build development plans to ensure we have the capability across the team to deliver our strategy and model in a #Human way
- Making sure everyone on the team knows how they fit in to accomplishing our goals
- Balance tactical and adaptive performance
- Challenge the status quo while being open to experimentation and learning from successes and failures
- Ensure that we are aligned and working as one team seamlessly across our sites and with our global PX team.
- Take #ownership of portfolios while simultaneously working hand in hand across functions, geographies and portfolios.
- Manage #beautiful benefits and 401k offerings alongside Finance
- Manage a portfolio, while also being an escalation point for operational people issues.
- Drive/deliver restructuring & change process across the US and in sync with global activity
- Conduct weekly meetings with respective customers and leaders of the BP portfolios
- Analyze trends & metrics in partnership with the team to develop solutions, programs and policies
- Assist international employees with visa and related mobility matters
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of customers, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with the legal team as needed/required
- Work across the global teams to leverage the best of PX Programs and Centers of Excellence (Learning / Diversity / Remuneration etc.)
- Build a positive employee experience that leads to improved business performance and increased levels of customer engagement
- Coach and mentor to PX team to stretch and grow them
- Be an advocate of Xero, take opportunities to tell the Xero story and build the brand externally
- Strive to work across the function to test, experiment and improve how we work in line with our scaling and evolution
Success looks like
- High functioning partnerships with business leaders
- High performing team with a learning orientation
- A deep understanding of the business
- Xero is recognized as a premium employer
- Trusted relationships with leadership teams and ownership for ensuring programs are designed, delivered or leveraged to drive America's success
- Great relationships and connection across the Global PX function and teams that deliver to the America's (RE payroll)
- Building a network of service providers and contracts that can be leveraged to deliver specialist requirements
What you'll bring with you
- 8 + years in HR roles / Recruitment / Business Leadership
- HR qualifications
- Ideally having worked in matrixed fast-moving tech / SaaS company
- 401K understanding / fiduciary experience / Hands on benefits experience to understand renewals etc.
- Degree, Post Graduate or equivalent work experience
- Deep understanding of multiple HR disciplines, including compensation practices, employee relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws