VP, Corporate Controller at Guild Education
This role is available in either Denver, CO or San Francisco, CA.
Guild Education operates a multi-sided education marketplace that serves large corporations, non-profit academic institutions and students. With marquee corporate customers such as Walmart, Disney and Lowes, Guild has experienced hyper-growth since its formation in 2015 and has attracted significant investment from leading venture capitalists.
Guild is looking for an experienced Vice President, Corporate Controller to lead it's rapidly growing accounting team. Reporting to the CFO, the role will be responsible for leading all aspects of all accounting functions including order-to-cash, revenue accounting, technical accounting, general ledger, equity accounting, accounting and integration of business combinations, payroll, external reporting and tax compliance.
The successful candidate will have served as a controller of a public technology company and preferably scaled at least one accounting organization through an initial public offering. They will have the ability and desire to be hands-on and dive deep into problem solving mode in the early days while rapidly building and leading a robust team that will support the longer term needs of the business. They will work cross-functionally with leaders in other parts of Guild and help to motivate change by introducing automated systems, process improvements and controls designed to move the organization towards standard methodologies and public company-readiness. Our multi-sided marketplace introduces sophisticated operational and technical accounting challenges and thus our Controller requires a high level of intellectual capacity combined with exceptional operational and technical accounting capabilities.Responsibilities:
- Plan and direct all accounting activities across the organization to ensure compliance with GAAP, SEC and other government regulations.
- Direct and lead accounting teams in the development, implementation, and oversight of company-wide accounting policies, procedures and controls to improve the operations of the business while effectively managing risk.
- Manage optimization of the month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes to ensure timely and accurate accounting.
- Collaborate with FP&A on the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports for internal and external audiences.
- Provide regular updates to the audit committee, manage their agenda and associated communication.
- Provide leadership required to strengthen and grow the accounting team, with a commitment to recruiting, training, and mentoring.
- Use technology to build scalable/sustainable processes to create efficiencies, streamline accounting operations, and improve the employee experience.
- Build systems and control environment to support the company's growth and overall public company-readiness.
- Develop strong cross-function relationships across Guild. Provide practical, business-savvy accounting expertise to others in the organization as we continue to scale our products and services.
- Lead preparation for and management of our annual audit as well as other ad hoc audit activities.
- Manage compliance related to federal, state and local income and sales and use taxes.
- 15+ years accounting experience including at least 5 years in public accounting at a big four firm and at least 5 years in senior accounting leadership roles at high-growth public technology companies
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business required, MBA or Masters in Accounting preferred
- Active CPA license
- Significant experience in SaaS and marketplace business models required
- Proven track record to hire, manage and mentor hard-working teams.
- Expert-level technical accounting skills and knowledge of US GAAP
- Experience implementing systems to achieve scalability of the business and accounting functions.
- Experience developing and managing effective internal controls over financial reporting including the development and management of a SOX compliance program
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!
Guild is growing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an expansive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $220,000-$265,000 and variable compensation eligibility, as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- We provide 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- We provide 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- We provide family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- We provide well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- We offer education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth