Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
The Tax Associate will be responsible for the processing of monthly and/or quarterly sales/use returns, supporting work-papers and documentation, financial tax reporting, preparing tax account reconciliations, researching sales and use tax laws and assisting with compliance-related planning projects as needed. The Tax Associate should be a team player and someone who is constantly thinking of process improvement while having a passion for tax.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sales and use tax returns
- Maintain sales and use tax rates for multiple cities, states and counties
- Perform monthly and quarterly reconciliation of tax-related balance sheet accounts, assisting with quarterly and year-end close procedures for tax-related accounts
- Prepare quarterly estimated payment calculations for state and local income taxes to assist with cash forecasting
- Respond to notices from various tax authorities
- Assist in all aspects of company corporate tax compliance as needed
- Experience with Avalara, TaxJar, Vertex sales/use tax software a plus
- Effectively communicate findings and recommendations to appropriate personnel
What you bring:
- BA/BS in Accounting or comparable credentials required. Advanced degree or CPA preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience in industry or public accounting in a role relevant to the requirements of the position.
- Solid understanding of taxation concepts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work individually, as well as effectively contribute in a team environment.
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $78,200-$92,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.