Sr. Transaction Tax Specialist at IHS Markit Digital
Proactively lead and support IHS Markit’s transaction tax priorities (sales & use tax, GST/HST/QST), and business critical initiatives with opportunities for growth and make significant contributions to the firm’s success.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities reflect the expectations for this position but are not intended to be all-inclusive:
- Support US and Canadian transaction tax compliance of IHS Markit and its affiliates, which includes preparing and reviewing returns for accuracy.
- Collaborate with US, UK and Malaysia transaction tax teams to streamline our compliance processes and drive efficiencies.
- Work with the team, lead process efficiency and documentation projects.
- Ensure compliance with transaction tax laws and regulations in the respective jurisdictions where IHS Markit conducts business, by performing periodic reviews and provide recommendations to leadership.
- Review of monthly tax accruals and effectively analyze general ledger account activities.
- Research sales and use tax statutes, regulations, and court rulings as they pertain to the IHS Markit businesses.
- Lead and direct various credit/refund opportunities (requires research, data analysis and submission).
- Lead selected sales and use tax audits, and other transaction tax related compliance for the IHS Markit entities.
- Participate in cross-functional projects to support company’s business objectives.
- Assist in developing and managing programs to enable our global transaction tax efforts.
- Actively engage internal and external partners to provide solutions and provide timely and accurate guidance on transaction tax matters.
- Assist in developing materials to deliver training to support the team and business partners.
- Work with our global team and cross-functional colleagues to support the IHS Markit initiatives and other business priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years sales/use tax compliance, and audit experience
- Expert knowledge of sales and use tax laws and applications
- Knowledge of Vertex and SAP experience a plus
- Prior experience in managing sales and use tax audits, conducting research, and supporting tax recovery opportunities, a plus.
- Knowledge ERP systems and financial reporting systems (SAP knowledge a plus)
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Superior analytical and organizational skills
- Department of Revenue or Industry experience preferred
- Experience in managing audits and compliance preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility to quickly adapt in a fast-changing environment.