Senior Manager, Tax
Marketo provides the leading engagement marketing software and solutions designed to help marketers develop long-term relationships with their customers – from acquisition to advocacy. Marketo is built for marketers, by marketers and is setting the innovation agenda for marketing technology. Marketo puts Marketing First. Headquartered in San Mateo, CA, with offices around the world, Marketo serves as a strategic partner to large enterprise and fast-growing small companies across a wide variety of industries. To learn more about Marketo’s Engagement Marketing Platform, LaunchPoint® partner ecosystem, and the vast community that is the Marketo Marketing Nation®, visit www.marketo.com.
Senior Manager, Tax Accounting
Marketo has an amazing opportunity for a Senior Manager, Tax Accounting to join our fast-growing software company. This position will report to our VP Finance, Corporate Controller who will invest time in the Senior Manager, Tax Accounting’s professional growth and development. The Senior Manager, Tax Accounting will lead the Company’s tax processes globally and oversee a Tax Analyst as well as our relationship with external tax service providers. Your team is directly engaged in managing global tax provisions and returns, sales and use taxes, tax compliance, tax studies, tax aspects of complex transactions and will be involved in helping ensure that the Company is strategically positioned with the right tax policies for the future. This position with interact with other cross functional teams in legal, sales and sales operations and international finance and leadership, among others, to ensure that tax compliance and strategy is considered in all major transactions and policies are embedded in our general business processes. Finally, candidates must be prepared to work in a fun, fast-paced, and dynamic environment.
This position will reside in our newly opened and freshly remodeled downtown Denver office, with a “Silicon Valley” atmosphere where the business is creating a Global Center of Excellence.
- Lead all aspects of tax compliance globally for Marketo including tax provisions, tax returns, sales and use tax, statutory tax filings, etc.
- Create and manage all tax policies for the global business
- Consider the needs for any and all tax studies and technical tax areas such as Section 382, transfer pricing, nexus studies, etc.
- Identify, analyze and implement other tax planning opportunities or ways to mitigate tax risks
- Provide the necessary audit support for any relevant examination by tax authorities
- Ensure understanding of all related US GAAP and IRS rules and regulations, as well as implementation efforts around all new regulations, including the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Understanding of international tax issues, withholding tax rules and regulations, and new entity set-up requirements
- Oversee the resolution of any tax issues related to acquisitions, restructuring or other significant transactions
- Supervise a Tax Analyst as well as our relationship with external tax service providers
- Partner with cross functional teams in legal, sales and sales operations and international locations, among others, to ensure that tax compliance and strategy is considered in all major transactions
- Identify and implement process improvements across all aspects of tax accounting
Required Skills/ Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or taxation required; Master's degree preferred (or equivalent experience)
- CPA and public accounting experience required; Big 4 tax experience preferred
- 10 years of progressive tax experience; Blend of public accounting and corporate experience a plus; SaaS software company experience preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of SALT accounting, SEC rules and requirements and knowledge of indirect tax compliance in the U.S. (i.e., sales & use tax) and other countries (e.g. GST/VAT)
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. combined and separate-state tax returns and ASC 740
- Experience in interacting with auditors, audit defense and tax appeals
- Action-oriented self-starter with excellent project management and leadership skills with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple time sensitive projects
- Ability to respond to, prioritize effectively and meet deadlines while maintaining the highest of standards of completeness and accuracy
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional business partners and ability to explain complex tax matters to non-tax professionals
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Managerial experience required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Track record of driving organizational change and improving functions
- Effective and decisive under pressure
- Strong planning, research, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills
- Strong Excel, Word and Power point skills
- Strong sense of business ethics, integrity and discretion
Marketo is an equal opportunity employer