Property Tax Accountant at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Property Tax Accountant is responsible for assisting with the property tax compliance activities of Zayo Group in the US and Canada. The candidate will provide support to the Property Tax Director to ensure property tax filing compliance, timely tax payments, accounting for and taking efforts to minimize Zayo’s property tax obligations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Accountability: Take ownership of the property tax role through accurate accounting and compliance following established procedures and taxing authority requirements.
- Judgment and Decision Making: Aid in recognizing where Zayo can minimize its property tax obligations and preparing relevant and compelling arguments to valuation.
- Results Oriented: Excellent time management and interpersonal skills to assist in making the tax team a highly effective and productive unit.
- Taking Initiative: Possess a growth mindset, embrace new challenges and offer transparent communication.
- Customer Service: Cultivate a productive rapport working with internal and external customers including assessors, auditors and other departments within Zayo to resolve problems and achieve objectives.
- Review accounting and financial records for use in preparing property tax returns.
- Timely prepare property tax returns for review and filing.
- Respond to post-filing follow-up matters.
- Validate and process property tax bills for payment.
- Update and maintain tax payment schedules.
- Assist with preparing and reconciling property tax accruals.
- Process incoming property tax notices, bills and other correspondence and respond as required.
- Keep up-to-date on state taxability, regulations and law changes and recommend tax reduction strategies.
- Assist with personal property tax audits.
- Assist with special projects as needed
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics.
- Prefer at least 2 years of related work experience (experience with the telecom industry is highly regarded).
- Able to work under the pressure of mandated deadlines.
- Must possess solid accounting knowledge and be detail oriented.
- Strong Excel skill set. Experience with Oracle and Salesforce is preferred.
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible to change and willing to take on projects and new responsibilities as assigned.
- Personally motivated to work autonomously with minimal supervision as well as on a team.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave