Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
About the Role
This is a newly created position in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Reporting to the Head of FP&A, this role is responsible for building a business partnership with the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) & Head of Products and Technology, and the R&D leadership team to provide value-added financial and decision support for Research & Development, Customer Experience, Engineering, Information Technology and Information Security teams. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing reporting and analysis on all aspects of the product and technology teams including traditional finance metrics and variance analysis, business case financial analysis, and also providing in-depth analysis and thought partnership to guide the strategic direction and scaling of the business. They will serve as a key advisor to the Product/Tech leadership team and drive strategic and fiscal discipline. In addition, the leader serves as the conduit between product arcs and other functions like Commercial and Operations to ensure the teams are operating from a compatible set of assumptions. This is a highly visible role in the company and a key position in the Finance team.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, system thinkers, results driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, can thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, and exceptional in communicating with all levels within the organization.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Develop a deep understanding of the business goals/objectives, to understand the root causes of variances and provide insightful, fact-based data analysis and scenario modeling to drive strategic and growth initiatives and influence business decisions of business leaders
- Deliver monthly reporting and variance analysis. Collaborate closely with Corporate FP&A to ensure operations planning and forecasting activities align to the overall corporate timing and assumptions
- Provide technical financial leadership in planning, directing, and integrating all aspects of budgeting, reporting, and analyzing activities for the Product, Technology, and R&D groups
- Provide finance leadership and expertise to high impact cross functional projects, and direct the resolution to complex or unusual business challenges
- Integrate Finance with the product and technology teams creating a seamless connection between operational planning and rolling financial planning including operating out of shared set of assumptions across functions
- Be the primary owner, working closely with the CDO, to establish and implement analytic framework and business case template to evaluate, approve and monitor technology spend and product development projects including build, buy, partner analysis
- Lead functional financial reviews with senior business and finance leaders. Deliver quantitative and qualitative insights, Identify improvement opportunities, and advise action plans based on financial insight
- Proactively partner and engage with key stakeholders and cross-functional partners to drive improved insight into the business, by refining or developing KPIs that drive organizational accountability and performance
- Help drive innovation by actively seeking opportunities to simplify reporting and enhance delivery methods. Improve efficiency and effectiveness of finance activities
- Participate and support system implementations and upgrades, as needed
- Perform ad hoc analytics as required
- Mentor and coach analyst
- Proven track record in leading FP&A activities in a fast growing, dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Engineering, or related field
- Minimum of 10+ years of Finance & Accounting experience with outstanding modeling skills
- Minimum 5 years in life science and/or technology industry with solid understanding for product development cycle, new product introduction, innovation and early stage investment, and product investment portfolio
- Demonstrated ability to work both strategically and at a detailed operational level
- Can quickly grasp new ideas and organize complex information. Curious, self-starter who consistently takes the initiative to address questions and build new processes/structures
- 12+ years of experience in Finance, with a MBA, CFA or CPA
- Knowledge of ERP, FP&A planning systems, Business Intelligence, and/or data query languages
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.