Principal Journalist at Markit Digital
The OPIS Aromatics Principal Journalist will be responsible for collecting and analyzing trade information to create a daily pricing index for U.S. benzene, toluene, and xylenes markets, as well as occasional duties collecting and analyzing trade information to create a daily pricing index for certain olefins and NGLs markets in a backup capacity. The position requires reporting on daily market pricing and market fundamentals as well as creating alerts relevant to the petrochemical industry.
- Accumulate spot market price transactions from industry participants via email, instant messaging and by phone. Verify the legitimacy of the transactions, and adhere to OPIS pricing methodology to create daily price assessments.
- Create breaking and feature news alerts pertaining to aromatics markets, and occasionally olefins and certain NGLs markets.
- Contribute copy to the OPIS published reports. Compile and publish OPIS reports, and occasionally contribute to support IHS Chemical and other OPIS reports.
- Help support technological upgrades to the OPIS publications.
- Attend industry conferences.
- Participate in team staff meetings.
- Network and source build in the U.S. aromatics, U.S. olefins and aspects of the U.S. NGLs industry.
- Engage in pricing methodology creation.
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Business, Finance, Journalism, English, History.
- Must be comfortable working with computers and spreadsheets.
- Able to meet tight deadlines.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be available to travel.
- At least 1-2 years commodity market pricing and reporting.
- Experience in commodity market data analysis.
- Experience in daily publication.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.