Ball Corporation manufactures aluminum packaging for beverage, personal care and household products, and provides aerospace and other technologies for commercial and government customers. We have been in business for over 140 years and is leading the charge in creating solutions that keep our planet healthy. Ball Corp has been nationally recognized as a leading company in the creation of sustainable products (Fast Company World Changing Ideas award) as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity (Forbes Magazine.) Join our team of over 18,000 people worldwide in our quest to make the world a cleaner and healthier place. BE BIGGER THAN YOURSELF. BE UNSTOPPABLE. BE AN INSPIRATION. JOIN US IN MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
Responsible for business unit and cross-division portfolio management and/or enterprise-wide process management. Defines and directs business portfolio plans while leading multi-system program teams. Manages the strategic aspects of large engagements including reviewing and managing high-level deliverables within and across business units, performing program reviews and ensuring project management best practices take place for all engagements, mitigating risks, and effectively communicating with key stakeholders throughout the program lifecycle. Works closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost- effective business solutions for Ball Corporation.
Essential Responsible Areas:
- Facilitate and coordinate the efforts of business Program & Portfolio Management into senior leadership; driving the establishment of the project portfolio definition, its structure and processes, from demand management and strategic alignment of projects and programs to portfolio categories and criteria, through evaluation, selection and prioritization; to execution, tracking and measuring the achieved results.
- Ability to actively participate with functional counterparts within the organization and through all stages of planning and development of program objectives; including directing and allocating the department’s resources, timing, etc., needed to assure program(s) completion
- Engage with and conduct quarterly (or at other intervals as specified) reviews with business leadership, shared services partners such as IT & Global Business Services; and other relevant stakeholder teams to validate and assess the project portfolio, execute change, and reprioritize to meet business needs and/or mitigate constraints as required.
- Ensure the oversight and coordination of dependencies across the projects and programs in the portfolio, and resolve or escalate conflicts to executive leadership for resolution.
- Manage & align the funding process for respective portfolio assignments, which may span multiple functional/technical teams and/or years.
- Support and advise executives on actions required to balance the portfolio of existing assets, services, and overall strategies (including, but not limited to, technology).
- Lead reviews of all projects or programs in various stages of their lifecycle, including those that are challenged and need recommendations for “path to green”: continue on path, be significantly changed, placed on hold or stopped.
- Defines the organization’s portfolio priorities, working closely with leadership in defining, scoping, and staffing new initiatives. Collaborates with decision makers and stakeholders to define business requirements for large complex systems development.
- Participates in overall business planning in their program area(s) to ensure alignment to business objectives. Develops strategic and associated communications documents, including portfolio status reports.
- Effectively communicates program expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Acts as liaison with business stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Estimates the resources and participants needed to achieve program goals.
- Drafts and submits budget proposals, and recommends subsequent budget changes where necessary.
Other related duties:
- Where required, negotiates with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Determines and assesses need for additional staff and/or consultants and makes the appropriate recruitments if necessary during program cycle.
- Sets and continually manages program expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Develops and meets business case goals for program area.
- Identifies and manages program dependencies and critical path.
- Accountable for controlling adherence to the corporate information technology standards, security, and confidentiality.
- Works closely with the director of software and solutions delivery, enterprise architecture, the program management office to ensure adherence to policies and standards.
- Tracks program milestones and deliverables.
- Develops and delivers progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
- Establishes risk mitigation plans.
- Defines program success criteria and disseminates them to involved parties throughout program life cycle.
- Coaches, mentors, motivates, and supervises project team members and contractors, and influences them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Builds, develops, and grows any business relationships vital to the success of the program.
Position Requirement & Competencies:
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high school education, General Education Development (GED), or through equivalent work experience
- Job related experience:
- 10+ years of direct work in a program/project management capacity
- 7+ years of leadership required
- 10+ years of direct work in a program/project management capacity, including all aspects of program development and execution
- Certifications/Licenses/Other: Project Management Certification.
- Industry experience in supply chain, manufacturing, finance, commercial or HR preferred
- Expertise in business case definition/ROI/metrics and program performance evaluation. Must have experience with vendor evaluation and selection processes
- Expertise in defining and driving process-driven methodologies.
- Familiar with continuous improvement processes such as lean, Six Sigma, COBIT, ITIL, CMMi
- Expertise in business case definition/ROI/metrics and program performance evaluation
- Excellent understanding of division’s strategies and objectives
- Ability to participate with functional counterparts within the organization and through all stages of planning and development of program objectives; including directing and allocating the department’s resources, timing, etc., needed to assure program(s) completion
- Working knowledge of the following areas:
- system and business principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures
- generally accepted managerial practices and procedures
- project management, risk management, security, cost management, implementation and start-up of new business processes and computerized systems
- as it relates to information services, of purchasing, legal contracts, taxes, leases, licenses, accounting, economics, depreciation, capitalization, accruals, auditing (internal and external), insurance, and contract negotiations
- Strong familiarity with project & portfolio management software tools.
- Familiar with continuous improvement processes such as lean, Six Sigma, COBIT, ITIL, CMMi
Demonstrated Ball Leadership Skills:
- Inspirational Role Model–Understands themselves and seeks opportunities to learn. Shows composure, responding consistently, openly, and courageously in all situations.
- Authentic Leadership–Demonstrates humility in the way they lead others. Takes a stand for what is right and admits their mistakes.
- Leadership Presence–Inspires trust in the broader organization. Acts on a sense of what the organization most needs to elevate its impact and move forward through complexity.
- Relationship Builder–Listens and empathizes, engages a wide range of people. Embraces peoples’ differences and helps every individual feel special and valued.
- People Grower–Encourages leadership in others and takes risks to help others grow. Champions collaboration across the organization.
- Culture Champion–Consciously evolves the culture to help secure the future of the business. Recognizes where behaviors need to change and how to change them.
- Results Oriented–A desire to make things happen, sets stretch goals, and motivates others to achieve them. Always looking to create a better result for customers.
- Future Catalyst–Communicates a vision of the future that compels others and helps them see around corners. Embraces change, takes risks, and seeks diverse perspectives.
- Breakthrough Strategist–Sees connections others don’t see. Translates this new insight into break-through strategies that open up new directions. Enrolls others in the new.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 98,500 - $150,500 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, click here for more info https://www.ball.com/us_benefits
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans