SonderMind is a VC-backed digital health company redesigning behavioral health through covered and timely access, increased utilization, and data-validated quality outcomes. We are a team of Explorers, Builders, and Change Makers democratizing the complicated world of behavioral healthcare for therapists and clients alike.How you’ll make an impact
You will make an impact by assisting with bringing all accounting functions in-house. In this role, you will be the lead technical accounting expert. You will manage the audit process, tax provision, and all aspects of technical accounting.
Success looks like
- Proven Technical Knowledge – You have expertise and a strong foundation in accounting principles, including US GAAP, financial reporting, and writing technical accounting memos.
- Proven Experience – 7-10+ years working in public accounting along with your CPA credentials.
- Decision Making – Ability to confidently make recommendations to executive decision makers based on objective data.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
What you’ll do
- Lead all US GAAP or other applicable technical accounting initiatives at SonderMind. Including but not limited to revenue recognition (ASC 606), equity and acquisition accounting, and valuations.
- Responsible for all technical accounting research and writing technical accounting memos.
- Research new accounting guidance and exposure drafts, perform technical accounting assessment, and manage a timely implementation plan.
- Own the financial audit process and coordinate with external auditors.
- Prepare financial statements and footnote disclosures.
- Work with FP&A and other business partners in analyzing transactions, determining accounting treatment and impact on forecasts.
- Manage tax return and provision preparation with our external tax partners.
- Build out the technical accounting team as company experiences significant growth.
- Lead ad-hoc technical accounting projects, as needed.
Collaboration & Teamwork: Focus on ‘we’ over ‘me’. Team-orientated, seeking to be part of a group whose impact is greater than the sum of its parts.
Communication & Interpersonal: Engages and listens to others, adjusting communication style to fit the audience and message. Picks up on interpersonal and group dynamics, building rapport relating comfortably with people across teams, functions, cultures and levels.
Business Insights: Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the business model, market dynamics and revenue levers, to inform and anticipate future strategies, changes and trends.
Drive for Results: Bias for action, high intrinsic motivation, thrives under pressure, maximizes opportunities and makes bold decisions at the right times.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 7-10+ years of public accounting experience
- 10+ years of overall accounting experience
- CPA, active status
- Strong US GAAP technical accounting knowledge within a broad range of topics, including, consolidations, leases, business combinations, stock-based compensation, and revenue
Nice to Have
- Experience with early-stage startup companies
- Healthcare industry experience
- Experience working for a public company or assisting a company thru an IPO process
Location: We are considering candidates in the following cities: Seattle, WA, Austin, TX, Madison, WI, Chicago, IL, Boston, MA, Nashville, TN, or Raleigh-Durham, NC.
Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
Mental wellness impacts people of every community. At SonderMind, building and supporting a diverse workforce is foundational to our goal to redesign behavioral healthcare to be more approachable and accessible. SonderMind is a committed equal opportunity employer and provides a workplace that will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
Our employees may be exposed to sensitive personal information throughout their regular duties. For this reason, we maintain exceptionally high expectations of ethical conduct and require all incoming employees to pass a background check.
Our Employee Benefits Philosophy
As a leader in redesigning behavioral health we are walking the walk with our employee benefits package. We focus on meeting SonderMinders wherever they are and supporting them in all facets of their life with both mental and physical aspects in mind. Where most companies say "good enough" we ask ourselves "how can we do better." That includes:
- Starting salary is $120,000- $140,000. Actual title and compensation are commensurate with experience and skills
- Therapy coverage benefits to enable our employees to get the care they need
- Employer-paid disability & AD&D to cover life's unexpected - not only that, we cover the difference in salary for up to Eight weeks of short-term disability leave
- Eight weeks of paid parental leave (if the parent also qualifies for STD, this benefit is in addition)
- A generous PTO policy and a company mandate of at MINIMUM three-weeks of PTO a year; flexible work-from-home policy
- A commitment to reward our team members for the long-term success and growth of SonderMind with stock option grants and bonus potential
- Competitive market salary, up-to 4% salary company match on 401K, professional development and advancement opportunities as we rapidly scale, and so much more.