Head of Tax at Checkr
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation
We’re looking for a Head of Tax (Sr Director) who will manage all aspects of Checkr’s global tax strategy, planning, reporting, audits and compliance. This role will interact with senior leaders across the organization and will be the liaison to coordinate the flow of information between various functions. This position will provide leadership, guidance and assistance across all tax-related matters, and will develop and refine best practices across all insurance related issues. This strategic, but hands-on role will report directly to the VP Finance Operations.
- Oversee completion of federal, international and state income tax returns including all related analysis and support; manage audits of federal and state income tax and state and local filings
- Lead and oversee the preparation of all jurisdictional income tax provisions including ensuring accurate and timely ASC 740 tax accounting and financial reporting disclosures
- Monitor legislative changes in tax laws that may impact tax positions, including tax accounting implications
- Provide forecasts and guidance regarding future effective tax rates and cash taxes
- Ensure appropriate internal controls related to tax matters are in place and operating correctly.
- Conduct extensive communication with leadership across business functions (Accounting, Legal, Treasury, Financial Planning, Operations, HR)
- Research complex tax issues and summarize results to communicate to management and regularly engage with planning opportunities and tax law changes.
- Perform tax due diligence, provide structural advice on transactions, analyze proposed acquisitions, collaborate with deal teams and provide ad hoc advice on all tax matters.
- Establish and maintain formal tax policies, practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance and strong internal controls with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Manage outside tax consultants and advisors
- Own and provide guidance across all insurance related matters
- Oversee and/or complete special projects as required
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of relevant tax experience, preferably with a mix of public accounting and multinational corporate environment
- CPA preferred
- Technology industry experience, with SaaS industry experience, preferred
- International tax experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey complex matters with simplicity and clarity to non-experts across the company
- Strong knowledge of state and local corporate income tax as well as sales/use and property tax
- Must have a demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $216,750-$255,000.
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.