Director – Technical Accounting & External Reporting
Please review the job details below.
Maxar Technologies has an immediate opening for a Director – Technical Accounting & External Reporting in Westminster, Colorado. This role will report to the Chief Accounting Officer of Maxar and will be part of Controllership leadership team. The Director will be responsible for the Company’s accounting policies, research, application and interpretation of technical guidance, as well as ensuring compliance with all external reporting requirements as a SEC Registrant.
The Director will also prepare internal management presentations for members of the Board, Audit Committee, and executive team. This individual must drive for reporting and technical excellence, while supporting the development of practical business processes and solutions. The candidate should have a background in applying and teaching others, be detail oriented, and have strong organizational and relationship building skills.
This position requires strong management and communication capabilities. He/she will also provide advice to senior management on US GAAP and SEC filings, and work closely with the Investor Relations team on earnings press releases and reports that reach securities analysts, investors and industry groups. He or she will also be responsible for researching new accounting guidance and the accounting treatment of complex issues and transactions.
Primary Job Responsibilities / Duties:
- Direct the timely and accurate preparation and review of all external financial reports, including those filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K, and associated consolidated financial statements, footnotes, management discussion and analysis (MD&A) and supporting schedules.
- Direct the preparation / compiling of supporting documents for all SEC filings, including the annual proxy statement, and ensure all approvals are obtained before filing
- Direct the preparation and organization of the quarterly SEC reporting calendar, which involves coordination with the external auditors, executives stakeholders and members of finance, legal, and investor relations
- Comply with internal controls related to technical accounting and external reporting in support of management’s assessment of internal controls over financial reporting
- Oversee the preparation and review of high quality white papers on all key technical matters and manage the timely resolution of financial reporting implications
- Oversee the implementation of new accounting standards, and keep interested stakeholders informed on the impact to the Company’s financial statements
- Interface effectively with numerous individuals both inside and outside the Company, including the external auditors, to address and resolve accounting issues
- Serve as a Company-wide technical accounting resource for ad-hoc questions and initiatives
- Work closely, collaboratively, and strategically with Finance leaders and other business unit leadership
- Stay abreast of new accounting guidance, SEC reporting and general trends within the industry
- Oversee equity accounting and reporting including calculations for weighted average shares outstanding, diluted shares, EPS and stock-based compensation expense.
- Perform special projects or duties as required within the finance department
- Ensure appropriate succession planning is in place within key roles and maximize employee engagement, and develop team through coaching and feedback on results.
- Bachelor’s Degree Accounting; Master’s Degree Preferred; CPA Required
- Combined public accounting and industry experience; 15+ years of related experience; 8+ years of related experience managing or leading teams
- Expert level knowledge and in-depth experience with US GAAP and SEC rules
- Experience with Sarbanes Oxley requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability in researching new accounting guidance and the accounting treatment of complex issues and transactions
- Strong experience in reporting requirements and consolidations (domestic and international subsidiaries)
- US Citizenship
- Strong organizational skills
- Understanding of accounting principles and practices, management principles, and preferred business practices
- Proven ability to function well independently as well as in a team, and be comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to attract, develop and retain outstanding talent. Entrepreneurial and comfortable with ambiguous and change-led environments; self-confident with an authentic style that gravitates to championing change. Encourages diversity of thought and experience.
- Sets and meets a high bar of goals and principles. Eager to seek a challenge and expand frontiers; bringing a visionary approach
- Proven ability to prioritize deliverables and projects to meet timelines efficiently, to adapt to changes in priorities quickly, and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously to drive projects to completion and deliver quality materials under tight deadlines
- Robust decision-making and analytical skills. Strong command of finance policies, operations, and risk management with the ability to grasp complex and detailed issues
- Experience determining when to escalate to management and identify the right stakeholders for decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and client services oriented attitude and mindset. Proven ability to work effectively with others in cross functional settings. Skilled at negotiations, problem solving, and conflict resolution
- Excellent communications skills (written, oral, presentation skills)
- Ability to collect, organize, analyze and report complex data; evaluate information and systems; and make appropriate recommendations
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, conscientious, thorough and accurate
- Skilled with Microsoft Office applications; specifically, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
MAXAR Technologies offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.