Director, Indirect/Transaction Taxes
nd professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth
The Director, Indirect/Transaction Taxes is responsible for managing and directing members of the Transaction Tax group worldwide. The candidate will provide guidance and use their expertise to comply with all tax laws and regulations pertaining to Zayo’s products and services and manage the Company’s risks associated with the administration and compliance with these laws and regulations in all jurisdictions, domestically and abroad. Title of the role is commensurate with the level of experience.
- Experience working with internal and external customers to solve problems and raise customer engagement through clear and concise explanations.
- Take ownership and manage the Company’s financial risks through accurate accounting and compliance to established procedures.
- Assessing and applying the relevant law to the Company’s services and defending the treatment of such to both external customers and governmental authorities.
- Excellent project management and interpersonal skills that can make the transaction tax team a highly effective and productive unit.
- Build positive relations with managers, co-workers, and employees to resolve conflict and problems. Develop team members through your understanding of tax laws and regulations.
- Lead by having a growth mindset, embrace new challenges and offer transparent communication.
- Responsible for all transaction-based taxes on Zayo’s products and services worldwide, including sales, telecommunication based tax or surcharge, governmental regulatory fee and VAT taxes. Activities include reporting and payment of taxes, maintain reconciliations of the supporting balance sheet accounts and internal control processes.
- Work with the Director, Billing Operations and other internal teams, to integrate the billing systems of acquired entities and manage customer relationships around these migrations.
- Work with the Customer Service and A/R team to communicate the Company’s position on the taxability of its services and resolve billing disputes.
- Perform due diligence on potential acquisitions including review of tax returns, financials, and other tax documentation to evaluate potential tax risks and opportunities.
- Responsible for the Company’s VAT compliance process and work with the VAT Manager to optimize the supply chain, legal entity contracting model and to recover VAT paid through internal efforts.
- Manage federal, state and local tax audits. Resolve audits minimizing financial risks and liabilities.
- Manage the use compliance function. Conduct reverse audits in the U.S. and Canada identifying exempt purchases and recovering ill-paid taxes.
- Maintain tax exemption and reseller records for customers.
- Provide support to the sales organization in respect of obtaining new business.
- Manage and support SOX compliance activities.
- Provide support to the Product teams in respect of new product offerings and taxability thereon.
- Provide support to Billing Operations as related to ongoing processes and procedures.
- Perform research and planning activities to minimize the Company’s indirect tax costs.
- Work with IT development to implement new businesses processes in order for the Company to be more efficient and scalable in its operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Master’s Degree in Taxation preferred or LL.M.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience in a mix of public accounting and enterprise environments.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting.
- Strong writing, analytical, research and organizational skills.
- Strong communication, presentation, project management, and business development skills.
- Strong sense of personal motivation as well as the ability to work with a team.
- Ability to work in dynamic, time-sensitive environment.
- Strong systems background is desirable.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.