Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!). Now, we’re looking to add a Director of Financial Planning and Analysis to the team.
As the Director of FP&A, you’ll build out robust and agile internal finance and business planning operations so we can rapidly scale. You’ll lead complex cross-functional projects and drive many core business operations, particularly financial forecasting and planning, deal evaluation, and company goal-setting exercises. You’ll be a critical member of the team, spotting new opportunities, filling the gaps, acting like an internal consultant, and helping Guild improve operations and scale quickly.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Forecasting & Budgeting - Owning the financial model and forecasting, which we use to plan future hiring and cash flow planning and planning and measuring how resources are deployed at the company and department level. Defining and tracking KPIs to ensure resources are efficiently allocated and aligned to support of broader business objectives.
- Client level budgeting - Overseeing the team providing client-level budgeting and modeling support, including validating assumptions and output
- Goal Setting - Partnering with leadership to set company-wide annual and quarterly quantitative goals as part of Guild’s ongoing goal-setting process (OKRs)
- Business Analysis - Partner with Analytics team and Dept leads to help make financially sound, operationally efficient decisions including growth opportunities, pricing, product expansion and other priority projects. Analyze performance trends against our financial metrics and provide thought leadership on key business KPIs, drivers, areas for improvement.
- Corporate Strategy & Finance - Helping guide Guild’s strategic direction with solid business modeling and decision analysis. Developing financing strategies, monitoring market conditions and helping execute fundraising as needed.
- Board and Investor Reporting - Preparing presentations to Board of Directors, Investors and Senior Management Team to ensure investors are knowledgeable and equipped to contribute to Guild’s growth
In this role, you’ll grow and expand your expertise by:
- Systems / Process Building - Helping continuously improve budgeting and reporting frameworks, tools, and processes to ensure access to timely, accurate and actionable data company wide.
- Cross-Functional Projects - Driving other complex, high-priority, cross-functional initiatives, working closely with the CEO, VP of Finance, and senior leadership to analyze opportunities, synthesize findings, develop go-forward plans, and act as part of the ongoing team to translate recommendations into results.
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Ensuring our budgeting and reporting frameworks, tools, and processes provide company-wide access to timely, accurate and actionable data
- Enabling high-impact decision making and identifying new opportunities for growth and business optimization etc. through your strategic financial analyses.
- Achieving established OKRs and expectations while demonstrating your passion for our mission - you'll receive ongoing feedback through your 1:1 meetings and go through bi-annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll join a team:
- From diverse backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to startup leaders (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Experience. 5-8 years of relevant work experience in SaaS FP&A and operational finance, with investment banking, consulting, or private equity / growth equity experience a plus. Preference for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Finance, Accounting, Engineering, Mathematics, etc.) and/or MBAs.
- Technical skills. You’re an Excel expert will the ability to develop insightful and complex financial models and quantitative analysis, paired with critical thinking and sound business judgment. Experience implementing and managing a cloud-based EPM like Anaplan or Adaptive Insights strongly preferred; SQL experience a plus.
- Entrepreneurial: You are as self-starter with a roll-up-the-sleeves, action oriented mindset to have an impact in a fast-paced, rapidly changing growth environment
- Communication: You can distill and communicate complex topics broadly to board members, clients, front-line team members and everyone in between.
- Precision. You have sharp attention to detail with a natural feel for numbers and data, and have a high degree of accuracy in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. You are able to see the forest and the trees while being in the weeds.
- Player-coach: You enjoy building teams and you have an ability to be both leader and “doer”
- Team skills: You have a positive attitude with a can-do, service-oriented mentality. You are collaborative, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and build successful working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Passion: You are passionate about serving our students and an unrelenting drive to build an amazing business
- Discipline. You have strong organizational and time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks with multiple stakeholders while hitting deadlines on time sensitive projects.
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!