Corporate Controller at PopSockets LLC
PopSockets LLC, based in Boulder, Colorado, designs, manufactures and sells innovative lifestyle products. Our flagship product, the PopSockets grip—a collapsible grip and stand that provides secure one-handed holding for any mobile device—was invented by philosophy professor David Barnett, with the first grip sold on PopSockets.com in 2014 and the 100 millionth sold in 2018. PopSockets products embody the company's mission to create empowering, personal, and fun products.
PopSockets was named one of the Best Places to Work in Colorado in 2018 and also listed as Inc. 5000's second fastest growing company in the US, with a 71,424% percent of sales increase over the last three years.
For more information on what it’s like to work at PopSockets, click here. Read more about our recent rebrand and updated packaging here.
The Corporate Controller is responsible for direct supervision of all accounting operations
This individual will be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, cost accounting and year-end audit preparation. This position will have multiple direct reports.
- Ensure transactional processing in the areas of payroll, AR, AP, GL and cost accounting occur timely to support an accurate and timely closing schedule
- Oversee internal and external consolidated financial reporting, including timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Supervise, develop, train, and mentor staff, as well as establish and implement long- and short-range departmental goals
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance, provide US GAAP interpretation and prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical, and comprehensive manner
- Manage communications with external auditors on external financial statements and accounting issues to ensure auditor agreement with company decisions on accounting disclosures and issues
- Support CFO with special projects
- Ensure proper segregation of duties and internal controls
- Work closely with FP&A personnel on budgeting, forecasting and reporting
- Coordinate with internal tax personnel on the preparation of tax provisions and tax returns
- Supervise SOX implementation and support ongoing SOX compliance
- 15+ years prior accounting experience, including 5-7 years as manager or controller
- At least 5 years International accounting and revenue recognition experience
- Excellent knowledge of US GAAP and SEC rules and regulations is required, including SOX404 experience
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
- “Big Four” or national accounting firm audit experience is preferred
- Integrated ERP system experience – Microsoft NAV experience is a plus
- Able to work well with senior executives and team, as well as mentor/lead other team members
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in consumer products company preferred
- Experience with international consolidations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with an emphasis in accounting, or a related field. CPA preferred but not required.
PopSockets is dedicated to the practice of equal opportunity employment. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, color, creed, ancestry, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on any of these protected classes. Unlawful harassment includes verbal or physical conduct which has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s work performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive, unsafe or otherwise non-welcoming work environment. This policy applies to all employees, including managers, supervisors, co-workers; and non-employees such as customers, clients, vendors, consultants, etc.