Ibotta is looking for a Controller to join our innovative team and contribute to our mission to Make Every Purchase Rewarding. The Controller is responsible for oversight of the monthly close, annual financial statement preparation and audit, tax, equity, and cash cycle processes. This role oversees two teams: a financial close accounting team and an operational accounting team (AR & AP). The ideal candidate has proven performance as a controller and experience with public companies, scaling processes and has worked in a high growth environment implementing controls and establishing formal procedures in accordance with PCAOB and U.S. GAAP.
What you will be doing:
- Embrace and uphold Ibotta’s Core Values: Integrity, Boldness, Ownership, Teamwork, Transparency & Advocate for Savers
- Spearhead appropriate accounting changes and improvement to keep accounting practices in step with company growth.
- Manage the accounting department and produce accurate and audited financial statements to inform business decisions aiding our growth strategy.
- Responsible for oversight of monthly accounting entries and other close procedures, including quarterly and annual reviews and adjustments, balance sheet reconciliations, and flux analyses.
- Implement more robust financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to public company standards.
- Manage the preparation and filing of State and Local Tax (SALT),income tax returns and related risks for new product developments, operating geographies and business verticals.
- Serve as the internal expert to advise on accounting impacts and resolve all GAAP and technical accounting issues.
- Oversee revenue accounting and ensure compliance of new revenue streams and contracts with ASC 606.
- Oversee monthly equity accounting and equity cap table.
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly financial statement preparation for distribution to Board of Directors, Senior Leadership Team and external investors.
- Lead the preparation of year-end financial statements and footnotes, annual audit with Big-4 firm, and additional ad-hoc state and federal compliance audits.
- Serve as liaison with various external business professionals including tax professionals, 409A valuation firm, law firms, etc.
- Provide and support analysis on financial results (trends, performance metrics, benchmarks) and work closely with Finance, Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team for company reporting and analysis requirements.
- Work closely with operations and engineering to improve manual processes.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with management and staff identifying and developing solutions to a full-range of business issues.
- Advise team regarding the handling of non-routine transactions.
- Lead entire accounting function, providing financial visibility into Ibotta’s ability to state the ROI (return on investment) for capital and help guide future capital allocation decisions.
- Develop, manage, mentor, and build a high-performing team that works with a collaborative mentality to produce high quality results.
What we are looking for:
- Minimum of 10-15 years of accounting experience and a minimum of 5 years managing people and elements of the accounting function.
- BS/BA in Accounting. CPA and deep understanding of GAAP required.
- A combination of public accounting and experience in a medium sized public company.
- Proven track record of managing cross-functional relationships company-wide.
- NetSuite experience preferred.
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Deep understanding of internal controls and SOX compliance.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability and willingness to meet critical business deadlines.
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a team environment.
- Proficient with software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as ambition to learn internal systems.
Built in Denver, CO, Ibotta ("I bought a...") is a free mobile shopping app that gives users cash back on groceries and more. Through our partnerships with brands and retailers like Procter & Gamble, Kraft Heinz, Kellogg, Amazon, Walmart, Target and Uber, we’ve delivered over $800 million in cumulative cash rewards to our Savers. Guided by our values and our mission to make every purchase rewarding, we come to work energized by the business problems we get to solve, the technology we get to build, and the people we get to innovate (and have fun) with. Ibotta made Inc.’s 2020 list of the 5000 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. for the third consecutive year. In 2019, we became the first mobile consumer technology company in Colorado to achieve $1B in valuation.
- This position is located in Denver, CO and includes competitive pay, flexible time off, benefits package (including medical, dental, vision), Lifestyle Spending Account, 401k match, profit sharing and equity.
- Base compensation range: $150,000-180,000. Total compensation for this role also includes a variable component in addition to base compensation.
- Ibotta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ibotta’s employment decisions are made without regard with race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For the security of our employees and the business, all employees are responsible for the secure handling of data in accordance with our security policies, identifying and reporting phishing attempts, as well as reporting security incidents to the proper channels.