Are you looking for an established and dynamic company where you are recognized for your efforts? Are you excited about an opportunity that encourages professional growth and development? Would you enjoy working at a company with years of profitable growth and a new Private Equity owner intent on building a world-class software company? If you believe that Finance & Accounting is the backbone of a company and providing accurate financial information to drive decision-making is a key in its success; possess an analytical and intellectually-curious approach; desire to partner with all departments and drive good business decisions; and thrive in an environment of significant growth through organic and multiple acquisitions, while working with a talented team and pushing the limits of what’s possible, KPA’s Controller position may be the perfect fit for you!
Since 1986, KPA has been a market leader in cloud-based Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), sales/finance and human resources risk management solutions for the automotive, collision repair, insurance, and light industrial industries. KPA’s innovative platform, combined with interactive training and onsite audit/loss control services, delivers a comprehensive solution that helps 10,000+ client locations achieve regulatory compliance; control risk; protect assets; and effectively train, retain and manage people. KPA’s great culture includes humility and teamwork, to help attract and retain top talent to maintain its leadership position in the market as the trusted “go-to” compliance partner.
In July 2018, tier-one PE firm Providence Equity Partners purchased a majority position in KPA from CIVC Partners following a successful four-year hold. CIVC maintains an investment in KPA, representing their confidence in the continued growth opportunity.
KPA is seeking a dynamic and operationally-focused Controller, who will serve as a key member of the company’s Leadership Team and interface closely with Providence, lenders, audit firms and Board of Directors. This person will be a partner to the CFO and will have primary responsibility for driving financial reporting and improving financial processes and controls across KPA and be an active contributor to the company’s overall growth strategy.
The most successful candidate will demonstrate leadership and technical competence in a broad range of disciplines including technical accounting, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, tax, audit, treasury, capital budget strategy, cash management, M&A integration, and process and systems improvement.
What you will do in this role:
• Lead and manage all accounting operations, internal controls, financial systems, audit, reporting, tax, asset management, and debt management with lenders
• Maintain and improve a comprehensive system of accurate and responsible accounting, reporting and internal controls to prepare the company to remain in sound compliance with GAAP, and applicable IRS guidelines
• Partner with Sr Director FP&A to provide monthly, quarterly and other periodic financial updates for the Board of Directors, investor community, lenders, external auditors and all other external parties that require financial information
• Interface regularly with KPA's executive team and work collaboratively with each functional area of the business
• Play a key leadership role in the financial integration and change management activities from acquisitions
• Research technical accounting issues
• Lead your accounting team through the month-end and year-end close process
• Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
• Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
• Motivate and develop your team, even during times of heavy and dynamic workloads
• Participate actively in KPA's M&A activity, including accounting and financial due diligence, integration planning, and establishing post-deal financial controls and consolidation
• Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Manage relationship with third party auditing firm
• Assist CFO in management of the company’s external banking and other financial relationships
• Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
• Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
• Oversee and integrate the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
• Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across all departments
• Engage with senior-level executives to drive priority strategic initiatives, working with other exceptional professionals across the range of KPA products and services
• Contribute to other strategic projects, under the guidance of KPA’s CEO and CFO
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including with C-level executives
• A combination of personality traits – collaboration, honesty, integrity, intensity and passion
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with a 4-year college or equivalent, MBA preferred
• 12+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
• Experience as a Controller for a $50M+ public, private equity or venture capital-owned company
• Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise mature judgement
• Demonstrated ability to manage ambiguity and apply problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to employ research and analytical thinking
• Proven success serving as a source of expert information and managing multiple analytically challenging projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work setting
• A skilled mentor and leader of teams
• Strong MS Excel and analytical skills with experience using major financial and analytics software, such as Intacct, NetSuite, Prophix, Anaplan, Adaptive, etc.
• CPA and public accounting background preferred