Associate Manager, Model Development
At OnDeck, we improve the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We do it in an environment where we celebrate collaboration, but aren’t afraid of healthy competition; where we’re serious about our work but don’t take ourselves too seriously; and where we are small enough to be nimble but strong enough to make a big impact.
The Associate Manager of Model Development is responsible for the development and maintenance of predictive scorecard models to support acquisition risk management. Core responsibilities include model design, model development, model maintenance, model updates and performance evaluations. He or she will interact with internal and external data as well as modeling vendors to seek opportunities to improve and advance our analytics capabilities.
The role directly reports to the Head of Decision Science at OnDeck Capital. The team works closely with the Acquisitions Risk Strategy team and the Revenue team. The ideal candidate for this data science role is expected to be proficient in working with credit bureau data using analytic platforms like SAS/SQL/R/Python. The leader who fills this position will be expected to support senior management requests for enhancement in analytics for risk management. He or she will act as a control point for planning, implementing and interpreting results.
In addition to achieving these business objectives, the individual hired into this role will be responsible for establishing best practices and tools that will allow OnDeck to efficiently manage its acquisition risk.
As an Associate Manager of Model Development at OnDeck, you will:
- Develop statistical models that aid in segmenting small business customers on the basis of financial needs, credit risk, and debt servicing ability
- Establish monitoring frameworks, statistical control processes, and early warning systems that enable OnDeck to react quickly to changing competitive environments
- Be responsible for model design, development, and model implementation. Ensure that the models are maintained and updated in a timely manner and the models perform as expected
- Leverage technology-based tools to implement process improvements
- Evaluate external data and model vendors. Identify, evaluate and recommend alternatives to business solutions in order to keep Ondeck on the technology frontier
- Review and recommend alternative analytical and modeling tools to improve model quality and performance
- Maintain a high level of competency in statistical and analytical principles, tools and techniques
- Analyze competitive intelligence to identify market dynamics and changes in small business’s credit usage that may impact OnDeck’s core businesses
- Identify and mitigate risks associated with introducing new technologies and procedures into our loan originations process
- Contribute to the evolution of OnDeck’s data strategy, including data partnerships, data model architecture and batch and real-time processing capabilities
- Investigate new third-party data sources for valuable signals and to address relevant gaps in data coverage
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Master’s degree in an analytic or scientific field
- 3-5 years of related experience in a predictive modeling role for a consumer lender or other retail financial services company
- Strong project management skills, as demonstrated by a history of taking on increasing responsibility
- Familiarity with data structures and data manipulation processes
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills as demonstrated by previous experience in developing creative solutions to business strategy, technological, and operational problems
- Extensive project management and leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to help small businesses by eliminating inefficiencies and excessive costs in the lending business
- Comfort in a highly visible role that is a key contributor to OnDeck’s continued success
Nice to haves (Not Required):
- Credit risk scorecard development, preferably at a Federally regulated bank or financial services company
- Experience in Model Governance and Controls
- Thorough knowledge of principles of credit risk management and forecasting trends
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally managing teams and manage projects performed by external vendors
- Specific experience in managing data platforms, business rules, and operational flows
- Hands-on experience working with transactional, credit bureau, and/or time series data in a consumer or commercial credit environment
We’re all about teamwork, passion and making an impact. Oh and having fun – Whether it’s community service events, book club meetings, team get-togethers or weekly social hours in the office.
OnDeck is the leader in online small business lending. Since 2007, the company has powered Main Street’s growth through advanced lending technology and a constant dedication to customer service. To date, the company has deployed over $7 billion to more than 70,000 customers in 700 different industries across the United States, Canada and Australia.
In addition to our great benefits: https://www.ondeck.com/company/careers/
We also offer…
401K Match. Tuition Reimbursement. Paid Parental Leave. Company Outings. Hackathons. Company Sponsored Sports Teams/Clubs. Discounted Gym Membership. Office Learning & Development Training.
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015 Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**